Author Topic: About to Buy Whirlpool...  (Read 7914 times)

Offline dbbyleo

• VIP Member
About to Buy Whirlpool...
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
Speak now or forever hold your peace...

I don't know if this appropriate in this forum, but I just wanted to get some advice.  I've done some research and looks like the winner is:

Whirlpool WTW5600XW ("Cabrio" Washer) - $550
Whirlpool WED5600XW ("Cabrio" Dryer)  - $550

Both seem to have good efficiency and price per cu. ft. and relatively good number of features compared to the competition.

Consumerreports.org ("CR") puts Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Maytag all at the same exact rating for reliability.  I had a Kenmore Series 80 for over 8 years before the timer when bad.  It still works, just that sometimes it doesn't do spin cycle (but I just have to turn the timer again to get it to go).  Other than that, it works well and no problem.  So I figured if Kenmore and Whirlpool are all the same, I should be alright.  

CR actually had Roper rated very well compared to these three big names!  But CR had the Cabrio washer as a top pick.

Anyway... may be you guys can tell me differently.  For the same money, which would you go with?

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
Re: About to Buy Whirlpool...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
All of them are made by the same company....  Might be a couple of feature differences (cycles), but pretty much the same guts.

PS - Unless it is a new model I'm not familiar with, the Roper is not energy star, should just be the old style top load washer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:43:34 PM by PARTech »
Serving North Idaho

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
I would go with the Roper and you could not give me the Cabrio.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
This WTW5600XW is the NEW "Cabrio" it is the replacement for the direct drive. simple machine I have not see many problems with it .... not like the older Cabrio with drain pump, drive motor, control boards,lid lock problems....Have anyone seen problem with them?
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
I bought one,have had it about 5 or 6 months.Unit works great. Of the ones I have worked on other than normal issues from shipping and delivery,not really many issues.They do sound different. Wash's great.

Offline Tech2000

• Technician
  • work hard/play hard
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
I've had to condemn 2 cabrios in the last 2 weeks. The one I had today was less than 2 years old and threw an F50 code. You have to replace both the control board and motor. Not economical to repair.

Offline dbbyleo

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
I've had to condemn 2 cabrios in the last 2 weeks. The one I had today was less than 2 years old and threw an F50 code. You have to replace both the control board and motor. Not economical to repair.

What about what krazytech said... were these you had to condemn the "new" cabrios or the "old" cabrios??

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »
2-3 year old machine center seal and bearings went, water on the motor burned it up. WTW6700TW1 looks like old style. Not worth repairing. F54 then F50 code

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »
motor is 137.50 control is 135.50

New Cabrios have been out for less then 2yrs...

Offline appdoc

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
the f50 code seems pretty common control board bad, just did one last month. sensors also, the repairs seem to be pricey, would not buy one myself.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
So water leaked on the stator and burner it up? and took out the control too?

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
WTW6700TW1 has a stator and rotor Not the same machine as a WTW5600TW

F50/F54 all have to do with the stator and rotor motorand  hall sensor...on a WTW6700

WTW5600TW has NO stator or rotor...

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Water ran through center and shorted out the motor windings ( or what ever you want to call it, same difference) also fused the rotor to the windings.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
  My advice for the old Cabrio/Oasis machines is to keep the circulation and drain pumps and throw the rest in the garbage. Nothing but trouble.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Speak now or forever hold your peace...

I don't know if this appropriate in this forum, but I just wanted to get some advice.  I've done some research and looks like the winner is:

Whirlpool WTW5600XW ("Cabrio" Washer) - $550
Whirlpool WED5600XW ("Cabrio" Dryer)  - $550

Both seem to have good efficiency and price per cu. ft. and relatively good number of features compared to the competition.

Consumerreports.org ("CR") puts Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Maytag all at the same exact rating for reliability.  I had a Kenmore Series 80 for over 8 years before the timer when bad.  It still works, just that sometimes it doesn't do spin cycle (but I just have to turn the timer again to get it to go).  Other than that, it works well and no problem.  So I figured if Kenmore and Whirlpool are all the same, I should be alright.  

CR actually had Roper rated very well compared to these three big names!  But CR had the Cabrio washer as a top pick.

Anyway... may be you guys can tell me differently.  For the same money, which would you go with?

The Whirlpool, Maytag and the Kenmore will more than likely be the same exact machines with minor differences so it is pretty much six of one half a dozen of the other.

However…

I am with JW here I would go with the roper.

As far as I know the Roper is still the direct drive washer, which is one of the most reliable machines out there. What makes this machine even better is typically a repair will be cheap and easy.

The only down side is the Roper will not be energy star rated but to me that wouldn’t mean anything.

The Cabrio washer you are looking at seems like a decent machine but I can’t say because the only experience I have with this machine is a service school I attended back in January.

The only thing I could say bad about the machines is that they seemed very noisy compared to other washers out there. The instructor acknowledged the fact that they were noisy but said that when you buy one it comes with some type of cover you put on the bottom to reduce the noise. But then he said that most installers were not installing them because they didn’t know what they were (they should read directions) so there where a lot of machines out there without the noise shield. 

With all that being said I would still go with the tried and trued direct drive Roper.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:29:04 AM by ryan111 »
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Whirlpool should just stick to making fridges

Started by bathgate

Replies: 8
Views: 4571
Last post July 28, 2007, 12:33:44 PM
by jdman
why you should buy whirlpool