Author Topic: Whirlpool Dryer Stopped Drying (LER8858EQ2)  (Read 11978 times)

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dryer Stopped Drying (LER8858EQ2)
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Our dryer (which has been cleaned inside and our of all lint) has stopped drying in the middle of a cycle.

It's been about 5 years since a thermostat has been replaced (1 has). We were charged a ton to get that one fixed so I'd like to attempt this myself. I've had the back off and was an EE major long ago so I'm fairly comfortable with parts and replacement.

The question is, what exactly should I do to troubleshoot the right part and then get it quickly? We can't go a week without drying anything.

Any help on WHERE the items are that I'm looking for would be great.

Thanks.

Model LER8858EQ2

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Dryer Stopped Drying (LER8858EQ2)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
These parts here all need to be checked for continuity. If any of these cannot carry current then that is why you will have no heat ;D

WHIRLPOOL Dryer Thermal Cut - Off Kit, part number: AP3094244

WHIRLPOOL Whirlpool Dryer Heating Element, part number: AP3094254

WHIRLPOOL Dryer Thermal Fuse, part number: AP3132867

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »
JW, I have some results:

I can't fully read the image you provided but here's what I got testing continuity:

Thermal Cut Off: Never budges
High Limit Thermostat: Zeros out
Thermal Fuse? (low left): Zeros out
Cycling Thermostat: This one was interesting. There are 4 connectors (North, South, East, West). I removed all 4. North/South goes to Zero. East/West jumps to 7.0 on my meter. I'm thinking this isn't a problem.

So do I understand from the above that I need a new Thermal Cut Off?

From what I see so far it comes as a kit for both this and the High Limit thermostat. I also see two. Mine appears to call for the 309 degree cut-off but there's also a 360 degree cut-off. I'm assuming it's not beneficial to get the 360 degree one? (neophyte thinking that this will allow for hotter drying)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:08:35 AM by Agrajag »

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 06:21:28 AM »
Replace the Thermal Cutoff Kit. The readings you got from the operating thermostat are normal, the 2 top terminals are actually a heater, which explains the resistance rating between those contacts. It has been suggested by Whirlpool to also replace this bias thermostat in the event of multiple thermal cutoff failures.  Use actual wire terminal designations instead of East, West, North and South as direction plays no part in how the wiring is set up, only by color codes and reference numbers stamped on the wires and the part.

The 309 degree kit is for electric dryers, the 390o is for gas dryers.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:23:10 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Which one is the bias thermostat? This is the second thermostat loss in 3 years and I believe it's the same one but I'm not 100% certain. That kit looks fairly new.

Thanks again for the help. I verified that as the problem by closing the loop with a wire run and turning on the dryer for 30 seconds. It came right up.

BTW, great site here. I hope to put it to use in the future with other jobs around the house!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:08:58 AM »
The bias thermostat mounts on the blower housing and controls the heat in the drum. It is called a controling thermostat. By the way your thermal cutoff needs replacement. The kit comes with both the bottom and the top safety's which are mounted on the heater element chamber. Replace both of these components. Why? Because the lower one9High limit) is rated for 250 degrees F and the upper one(thermal cut-out) is rated for 300 F. Both safety's are defective. The upper one has failed. That tells me the lower one didn't do its job. Remove the lint filter housing and clean it out.Check the inner fan blower housing for trash and debris. If the dryer is totally clean and the outside vent is not blocked and that safety fails again then you have a bad bias thermostat. I have a digital thermostat I use to see what the temp is that comes out of the vent. On cotton setting the bias thermostat should shut down around 160 degrees and the temp should fall (while the dryer is running)to around 105 degrees f, then the bias thermstat clicks in and the temp rises in the drum to around 160. If the thermostat is faulty the temp will jump there to around 250 and the High limit mounted on the low end of the heater will click out. This will discolor the heating element chamber over time. Another indication of a bad cycling thermostat. Also the clothes won't be too happy either. Can you say ironing board time. LOL

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:19:28 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:36:28 AM »
Guys, I have a new issue:

I installed both thermostats from the kit and the dryer ran flawlessly for several hours but has now stopped heating. I checked everything again and the same exact thermostat (high cut-off) is dead again.

What does this suggest?

Would this be the Bias Thermostat mentioned above? In the picture which one is it again? (Is that another name for the Cycling Thermostat in the lower left?)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:40:45 AM by Agrajag »

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:22:59 AM »
The bias thermostat is called the cycling thermostat in the parts directory.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »
Did you remove the housing that holds the filter and wash it out?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
Sure did. It was pretty clean. I had just done that not that long ago. Years ago a dryer we had was taking forever to dry things. Cleaning it out turned it into Super Dryer for quite a while and I never forgot that.

So are you saying it's not the bias thermostat then?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
Change that bias thermostat.
It obviously is not working.

WHIRLPOOL Dryer Cycling Thermostat, part number: AP3131939

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
Thanks. Keep the fingers crossed. The Bias, cut-off and the other one from that kit are all replaced now (with the kit being the second round) and it's drying a load now. It started off hot so we'll see what happens.

I did notice that the bias thermostat was totally covered by a white thick powder that was on there pretty good. I was thinking that might be the cause of it "failing" while still being able to show conductivity.

My main question is, is there a way to know in the future that this was the problem so that I could have saved spending $28 for the kit twice?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »
The rule of thumb in an overheating dryer is to replace the operating thermostat first, since it is the first line of defense regarding temperature. That is, of course, after checking that your vent was not to blame. Thermal cutoffs fail as a last resort to keep your house from burning down, but they are only the result, not the cause..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:41:43 AM by Repair-man »

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
Ah, okay, so the take-away to learn here is that the odds are that the cut-off thermostat was only failing due to overheating? Obviously from my side I never saw that as when I'd see the dryer heat was entirely absent. heheh

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »
test one more thing....

continuity test between each lead on the heater to the metal heater housing(your looking for part of the heater shorted to ground from breakage or a foreign object)

if the heater is shorted it can bypass the operating thermostat and cause the dryer to overheat tripping the thermal fuse
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Whirlpool Dryer Not Drying

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1403
Last post April 18, 2008, 08:09:51 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Dryer Not Drying

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 1393
Last post June 02, 2008, 09:56:47 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Dryer LER3624JQ1 -Drying Clothes 2x

Started by LT30

Replies: 3
Views: 2607
Last post January 26, 2011, 08:40:14 AM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Views: 7248
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Views: 19229
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.