Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: GE Washer GTWN4250DOWN NO FILL  (Read 376 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
GE Washer GTWN4250DOWN NO FILL
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
Ok the model number does not show up on parts list for me, so it may be DOWW or DOWS.

Here is the next part, manual for it.  I have the 2012 manual but this must be the year they changed.  THis being the older style.

I had another unit do this very same thing it would not fill.

I checked every thing on it except the Pressure switch.  Brown and orange wire at points 21 and 22 (may be right numbers)  This is the HIGH FILLED contact on water level switch.

ON this unit  i have got continuity at that switch, which to me means it is stuck on HIGh LEVEL and wont let the unit run.

AM I correct?  I have ordered a switch and will be able to confirm yes or no then.

I have read so many post here, and not many of them reposted what fixed their problem.

ON the other unit like this one, here is what was done. OR going on.

The motor light was normal.
the lid switch was ok.

The unit would NOT allow you to run any component in DIAGNOSTICS
it would go into diagnostics.

on the OLDER unit I replaced the control board and  that DID NOT FIX IT

MY customer on the older unit, same type machine, got discouraged with me TRYING to figure this out.

I studied the print and concluded that the CONTACTS on water level switch were the POSSIBLE issue.
THEY override the controls ability to function. ie it shuts it down.

HAS ANYONE FOUnd THIS TO BE TRUE.

From the Print, I don't see a fuse in line.
all wires look good.
I found no shorts in wires
or loads like solenoids
ever thing OHMS OUT

I am looking for the right print for my files, I have one in the customers unit. AND the 2012 manual is not the right one for this unit.

as far as I can see, or know,  THIS water level switch. does not feed back Hrtz to the control board,  it is either open or closed at the high limit water level

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE Washer GTWN4250DOWN NO FILL
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
If the model number is one of these than it takes the same Minimanual below. You used the letter O at the end of the model number. Should be a number 0. Don't know if this helps or not. GTWN4250D0WS
GHWN4250D0WW

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
ok, I got it DAb,

now comes questions.

the print in machine does not have red at 21.  so is that your sketch work

I saw note #1  which reads :1. CONTROL SWITCHES IN SCHEMATIC ARE SHOWN SET FOR NORMAL
WASH AT START OF AGITATION.

which would mean  22-21 would be open at normal and closed at high level

and that is what I hope to confirm as true, or I just bought a pressure switch for no reason.

the notes in red and comments next to them are opposite of note  #1

this is my second unit, kicking my butt.

I am reading continuity at 22-21
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzIiBNwRIV4NNXdidFJ6SHRPVzg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4aoev2nlljdzdo/HydroWave_09E-star-Washer.pdf?dl=0

About page 18 it starts describing the pressure switch operation

and confirms the lower switch is normally, closed then opens, at its opening it starts a filing timer, based on level selected

IT says the top high limit is a safety, but does not show the test procedure, nor state in words that it is normally open or closed at start.

note 1 is still what I wonder if its correct, the high switch is shown as a normally open switch.. well that's what I learned in school

some of these Appliance diagrams are wrong, or vauge

this manual confirms what you said, DAB, about the lower switch.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:13:56 PM »
found this too.. may help others in other areas
still not reading about upper switch position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0651ovo77r83n6/GE-Training-Bulletin_HydroWave-Infusor-Washer-Tips.pdf?dl=0

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
new switch came in and now I see that GE does not follow the old school rules of PRINT, diagram drawing.

You should show the switch in the rest, ie no power applied position.

22-21 is a normally closed switch, as MR DAB stated, but print drawn is showing normally open switch.

I am a idiot if the print is wrong, or until I figure out what is drawn wrong.

also note the drawing in the machine is half ass.. sorry it does not show the low switch.. it just draws a square and is numbered 12

it goes to  number 21.  a normally closed switch and when 4 inches of water comes in, it opens
at open signal
a timer in the control board will time the water valve for level
selected by selector knob
and stop.

now That I have a complete print, I may figure out, I hope to see a bad lowerer switch.

the machine thinks there is already 4 inches of water and it wont let water in, because its logic is off already.

I hope this is the issue, and will also be checking the pump for a possible, low head pressure.  Ability to remove the last inches of water.. weak pumps that run, but literally CANT suck, because they SUCK now are worn out, weak magnetic field.

I am off to this war..  These simple things seem to confound me when print is wrong.  I took pictures of pressure switch and can see better test locations..  still don't know what all the other points can tell us. 

Thanks DAB
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:16:34 PM by curjones »

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Don't know if this testing info from GE is any help, but here it is.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »
UP date, went out and customer had been able to get unit to work a few times.  The pressure switch was not the problem.

I took the control board off and re did the rubber boot around the start switch.  it was working when I left and told customer to let me know if it starts getting worse then a new board and switch would be needed.

I also have in the back of my mind that the rubber boot, is actually at times holding the switch IN
The RIM around that boot is not very thick..

I did all this research, because of the previous unit, another unit, still did not work with a new control board, and I never got to finish the job and find the exact problem on it.

it appears to me that the rubber boot, may be something to pay close attention to, even slightly depressed inside,
causes a cancel signal or pause..

thanks for the inputs.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:56:24 PM by curjones »

Offline anerepair

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »
What is the led on motor doing?  Bad motor usually won't prevent fill or drain but I have come across some that give me 10 flashes, communication error, and this causes unit to not run at all.  The 3 pin connector at motor, rd, yl and bu.  You should see about 13 vdc rd to bu coming TO motor from main board. 

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
That was normal.

It was normal on the first unit I worked on and this one.

I hate when I don't actually find, and feel re assured this or that, is the problem.

chasing Ghost, and gremlins  lol.

I have had rubber boots on ovens and other units to be the problem, as I am doing diagnostics, big intellectual test, and thinking bad control.  The minor mechanical, physical contact points and our friend or enemy
friction and his pal resistance may be at work.

don't want to leave out cousins
loose connection, heat, or Mr. Rat biting a wire

Maytag Performa Washer will fill (after changing snubber) but will not agitate

Started by PD

Replies: 10
Views: 12691
Last post January 01, 2008, 05:14:06 PM
by AJ
Frigidaire Washer Long Fill and E10 Error

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 6
Views: 13645
Last post June 26, 2008, 06:28:38 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore Series 90 washer won't fill

Started by iliiinieis

Replies: 15
Views: 15280
Last post January 06, 2009, 05:56:14 PM
by iliiinieis
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 6584
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Duet Washer WFW9250WW00 shows LF 'Long Fill' Error

Started by AJ

Replies: 8
Views: 15641
Last post November 09, 2013, 12:07:22 PM
by leona
GE Washer - Won't spin, doesn't fill (sometimes)

Started by Welder19518

Replies: 2
Views: 4459
Last post July 29, 2009, 01:36:19 PM
by JWWebster