Author Topic: Need to replace Burner Valve - GE Stove  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Bob1960

• VIP Member
Need to replace Burner Valve - GE Stove
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
Seems like we have a bad burner valve. The knob spins and spins - with the plastic knob removed. The burner stays on a VERY low setting so I turned off the gas since at one point the flame blew out.

Burner valve part Number: WB21K0021 or WB21K21

I'm half way handy :)     Is this something that I should attempt to replace myself? The local appliance repair guy wants $190 including the part that I can get for $30.

Thanks and great forum!!!

Model JGBP30WEV2WW

Offline Bob1960

• VIP Member
Re: Need to replace Burner Valve - GE Stove
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
One more question -- is a switch needed as well or just the burner valve??? A supply house told my wife to buy the switch as well.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
I don't see why you would need a switch if it is just the valve. What yall should be concerned about is breaking the alum tubing from that valve to the burner. You go raising the top without first removing all of the burners and all that aluminum tubing from them valves will be broken. Those small screws on the burner heads are probably rusted all to hell and non removable. If that is the case I just cut the heads off the rusted screws so that the burners can be removed  and later I drill out the holes and just pop rivet the burners back on there with 1/8th inch rivets. It is a bunch of trouble and that is why the guy wants a couple hundred bucks to fix it. Another trick people try is to remove the small screws on the valve itself and try to replace the innards if you don't get it back just right it will leak like hell and be dangerous.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Bob1960

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Some of the screws were corroded like you suspected so I'm gonna punt and have GE service it next week.

I'm happy to pay skilled and honest technicians to do stuff that I can't! If a repair is easy, I'm not afraid of doing it myself.

Bob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
Good call.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
Many times paying more cost less.
If your technician does the same as me,if he breaks something he will still do the repair for the quoted price.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Bob1960

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
The GE technician just stopped by, diagnosed the problem as a bad burner valve. Charged us $100 to take a look and diagnosed what we already knew without lifting up the front of the stove. The total job is $250. $180 for labor + about $60 for the part (some of it is tax). It's unacceptable that they didn't show up with the part when we told them what the problem is. Now my wife has to take more time off from work later in the week.

Offline weverette

• Technician
    • Dominion Appliance
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
It's perfectly normal for a tech to not order a part based soley on what a customer thinks they need. More often than not, a customer's diagnosis is wrong. If I ordered parts on that basis, I'd have to close my business.

Offline Bob1960

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
It's perfectly normal for a tech to not order a part based soley on what a customer thinks they need. More often than not, a customer's diagnosis is wrong. If I ordered parts on that basis, I'd have to close my business.

I would expect that GE factory service would have part on the truck? I guess that's asking too much.

It ended up my wife went replaced the burner valve herself. It took 20 minutes. The only tricky part was getting a few screws off the side of the oven - but she did it. The repair was very simple.

Offline weverette

• Technician
    • Dominion Appliance
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »
We can only carry so many parts. Gas valves aren't used very often, so they normally don't make the list of popular items. Can't actually remember the last time i actually used a surface burner gas valve.

Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 2700
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
ge center burner stove

Started by JPG

Replies: 4
Views: 2756
Last post May 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
by JWWebster
no-name 24", 4 burner stove