Author Topic: Older Maytag Washer will spin and drain but not wash ~ need help  (Read 8021 times)

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
My Maytag washer model LAT9235AAE, Serial 1377674 QM (may also be referred to as a “Newton” machine) suddenly stopped working in wash mode. When I set the dial to start a wash cycle and pull out the knob, nothing happens. But when I turn it to spin it discharges water and spins as normal. I pulled the front cover and inspected the motor but saw no issues of lose wires or corrosion. In fact this machine is surprisingly clean.

I pulled the cover off the upper control panel and found the 4-amp fuse mounted to the lid switch and off-balance switch assembly, and it was blown. I didn’t have a replacement so I jumper-ed across the fuse with needle nose pliers and produced a small spark. However the machine did not start a wash cycle. Hope I didn’t screw something else up.

I did an ohm test across the small white lid switch (black and red spade clips). Ohms shows “closed” when the lid is down and open when the lid is up. There is a 3rd white wire on this white switch that goes back to the 4 amp fuse bus bar. Don’t know why?
I also ohm tested the black rectangular “off balance” switch. It shows “ohm closed” when the lid is closed and “open” when the lid is open. The wire colors are red on one side and black on the other.

In my limited appliance experience it seems like the lid switch tests indicate the switches are good. But it’s blowing the 4 amp fuse. Is there something else to look for down line of this perhaps at the motor switching, or water level diaphragm switch, etc?
What I am trying to figure out is “what and how” to test the most common things that fail on these machines. If there is something more than the lid switch assembly broken, I don’t want to find out each problem through a process of buying multiple parts as a substitute for trouble shooting flow chart method. I want to try and test everything possible and verify with reasonable certainty what needs to be replaced in total. That way if there are numerous issues, this old machine might have to be retired.

Would appreciate any suggestions. I did get the service manual thanks to this forum but the trouble shooting section seems designed for those with advanced knowledge of appliance repair.

Thank you

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Older Maytag Washer will spin and drain but not wash ~ need help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
That has a check switch safety on it, when the fuse is blown the whole unit must be changed.Part number 22001682 should do it. Keep that machine as long as you can,best washer ever made in my opinion.

MAYTAG 22001682 Switch, Lid Assembly, AP4026359

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
 :) Thanks for the prompt reply. What is a “check switch safety?” The assembly board has 2 switches and a fuse bus bar for a 4 amp glass fuse.
 I am having a hard time understanding why if the 2 switches ohm out correctly what is it that indicates the switch assembly is defunct. If the switches are opening and closing correctly is it not possible something else is causing the fuse to blow? This switch assembly is also wired to other functions in the machine such as the water level switch etc. I wish the lid switch showed a short across the switches and I wouldn’t hesitate to replace it. Is there anything else in the machine that could cause the lid switch assembly to blow its 4 amp fuse?

I am worried that I will change out the lid switch board and end up with the same problem again because something else within the machine might be shorted out.

I agree, these older machine made in America are unbelievably durable. I bought a Sears Calypso W/D in 2001 for over $1800 and that over priced pile of junk broke down in 4 years of light use.
Give me an old 1990 or older washing machine any day over this new gimmick garbage with all the temperamental computer boards and direct drive couplers etc. :)

That has a check switch safety on it, when the fuse is blown the whole unit must be changed.Part number 22001682 should do it. Keep that machine as long as you can,best washer ever made in my opinion.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
The unit is a "fail safe "for lid switch operation. This prevents a shorted switch from allowing a lid to be open at the wrong moment.

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »
 :-\Ok that makes sense. But what about my ohm meter tests that show the switches are opening and closing correctly when the lid is raised or lowered? Would this not indicate that the switches are “not” shorted, but that there might be some other component that is shorted?

What other components on this machine could contribute to the 4 amp fuse blowing on the lid switch board?

The unit is a "fail safe "for lid switch operation. This prevents a shorted switch from allowing a lid to be open at the wrong moment.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
Opening at the right moment as the other closes at exactly the right time, that is why the fuse is blown. All will check as good but will act differently in action. Changed thousands over the years. I did Maytag Red Carpet service for 22+ years.

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
Wow 22 years with Maytag :)

So it sounds like ohm meter tests aren't reliable to determine if a lid switch assembly is good or not?

Is there anything else in the machine that could cause the lid switch to blow a fuse?

Thanks for all your help.
 O0
Opening at the right moment as the other closes at exactly the right time, that is why the fuse is blown. All will check as good but will act differently in action. Changed thousands over the years. I did Maytag Red Carpet service for 22+ years.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Can't remember any other time where it wasn't just the lid switch.

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
I thought I had better add this note on this Maytag machine problem.
About 2 weeks before the lid switch blew, A wood shim under one leg jumped up into the fan belt and caused the motor to smoke. Fortunately I caught it in time and shut it down. I removed the wood and the machine worked fine again until the lid switch blew a fuse.

I spent many years working as a marine shipwright. Mostly doing electronic and hydraulic system installation and trouble shooting. I am also a licensed building contractor and have wired up whole houses.
My first learned rule of thumb is to understand how components in a system can affect each other. Very often a blown fuse or circuit breaker was not necessarily caused by what might seem obvious. Especially in marine electronics. Often, only by tracing down and testing every component in a fused circuit can you be absolutely certain which component caused the blow. This is because many separate components can sometimes share the same fuse.

So even though my expertise is not in appliance repair, my experience in electrical trouble shooting prompts me to ask which components wired to this MayTag lid switch could also contribute to the lid switch to blow a fuse?
If nothing else can cause it to blow, then a lid switch will be replaced. If another component could also cause the fuse to blow, I would like to try and find out what and how to isolate and test it to make sure I am not just buying a series of parts to eliminate what’s wrong.

Thanks for any insights

Can't remember any other time where it wasn't just the lid switch.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
Here is the diagram for your model washer. On the left side towards the bottom is the wiring diagram.

I'm with theoldstoveguy on this one. In my 23 years of experience I have never run into anything else that has blown that fuse other then the Lid Switch Assembly.

When I see one with a blown fuse I simply install a new lid switch assembly, run the washer to make sure it all work and move on to the next call.

With the wiring diagram and your meter you call trace things back if you just want to make sure everything else is ok, but that has been my past experience with this type of problem.

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I am sure you guys know what you’re talking about and the lid switch assembly will probably correct the problem. I just don’t feel lucky when is comes to these things and am worried that I’ll invest in a lid switch and then end up needing something else.
I am looking at the wiring diagram you sent.

I’ll let you know what happens.

Here is the diagram for your model washer. On the left side towards the bottom is the wiring diagram.

I'm with theoldstoveguy on this one. In my 23 years of experience I have never run into anything else that has blown that fuse other then the Lid Switch Assembly.

When I see one with a blown fuse I simply install a new lid switch assembly, run the washer to make sure it all work and move on to the next call.

With the wiring diagram and your meter you call trace things back if you just want to make sure everything else is ok, but that has been my past experience with this type of problem.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
If you buy the part from our affiliate, http://repairclinic.com and it does not repair the problem you can always return it. They have a great return policy.

From there site...
No harm in buying and trying. Electrical parts? Out of stock parts? No problem. Get a free replacement or your money back...

Offline klhglobal

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
I am still determined to try and check everything I can before plunging in and buying parts.
I dug up some vague information that the lid switch could also blow if there was a problem with the motor. This makes sense because the lid switch prevents the motor from running by interrupting power to it. And by such reasoning if something was shorted on the way from the lid switch to the motor, it would seem possible it could blow the lid switch fuse.
But I am just theory based on marine electronics installation and very basic trouble shooting methods, not an appliance repair expert.
Most marine electronic components come with a flow chart of tests to eliminate the obvious, and find the problem. They also generally provide illustrated details to the installation tech on how to perform diagnostic tests. And even have phone support.
Not so with Maytag.

My Washer motor runs great in spin. Therefore I know the motor works, but could some of the switching on the way to the motor be faulty, thus causing a lid switch fuse blow?

Thank you

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
The switching on the way to the motor IS the lid switch.
Do as the others suggested and replace the lid switch.
You are trying to make a simple repair complicated.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
Take that CHECK SWITCH off the switch assembly and check it. You might can save some money and not have to buy the whole dang thang. The innards fall apart in that micro-switch. The red button should audibly click. If the check switch is bad the washer won't wash. If the fuse is blown the water won't fill.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:19:35 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Washer Spin & Drain Problem

Started by lulubovary

Replies: 1
Views: 2186
Last post March 11, 2008, 04:43:09 PM
by Repair-man
Washer Issue - Runs, Fills, Start Wash...Loud Grinding for 60s, Drain, Spin Done

Started by Moose101

Replies: 16
Views: 6203
Last post April 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Elite He3 washer will wash but won't drain & spin

Started by phildeux

Replies: 5
Views: 7337
Last post October 15, 2009, 01:14:15 PM
by phildeux
Maytag Ensignia Washer skips final drain/spin and keeps agitating