Author Topic: LG WM2101HW clicking knocking during spin cycle  (Read 533 times)

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
LG WM2101HW clicking knocking during spin cycle
« on: September 23, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »
I have am lg wm2101hw making a clicking knocking sound during spin cycle. Thoughts?

Online rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: LG WM2101HW clicking knocking during spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »
I have am lg wm2101hw making a clicking knocking sound during spin cycle. Thoughts?
Manually rotate the basket to see if it makes the noise, also while rotating be sure the front end gap between basket and rubber door seal is even 360 degree's and rubber isn't peeled where it meets the basket.
Also, be sure the shocks underneath below the tub are in tact (not broken - remove rear panel to view the front & rear shocks)
Photo of Shock's http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-parts-assembly-383eer3001s-ap4998813.html     
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:02:00 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
It seems to make the noise while rotating manually. I'll check the rubber. I already replaced the shocks thinking that was the culprit but it wasn't.

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
Manually rotate the basket to see if it makes the noise, also while rotating be sure the front end gap between basket and rubber door seal is even 360 degree's and rubber isn't peeled where it meets the basket.
Also, be sure the shocks underneath below the tub are in tact (not broken - remove rear panel to view the front & rear shocks)
Photo of Shock's http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-parts-assembly-383eer3001s-ap4998813.html   
It seems to make the noise while rotating manually. I'll check the rubber. I already replaced the shocks thinking that was the culprit but it wasn't.

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
And my question mainly is is it safe to wash with still until I get someone to fix it

Online rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Check the 2 suspension springs (above tub) to be sure they are attached (if needed, remove top panel to view the springs).
If you have rubber that has peeled off the door seal then the Spider is broken (it attaches to the rear side of basket/drum).
Powder detergent can cause the Spider to break (only use HE Liquid Detergent).
If you replace the Spider then I would also replace the Tub Seal & both Bearings and Door Seal/Gasket.
Diagram of Washer http://www.appliancepartspros.com/section-2-parts-for-lg-wm2101hw-abweeus.html

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:59:55 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Check the 2 suspension springs (above tub) to be sure they are attached (if needed, remove top panel to view the springs).
If you have rubber that has peeled off the door seal then the Spider is broken (it attaches to the rear side of basket/drum).
If you replace the Spider then I would also replace the Tub Seal & both Bearings and Door Seal/Gasket.
Diagram of Washer http://www.appliancepartspros.com/section-2-parts-for-lg-wm2101hw-abweeus.html
The door seal is fine and the springs are ok. Could the bearing be wore out and cause this problem? Would rubbing grease on the bearing be helpful or will I have to take it apart to replace it? And is it safe to wash with it like that?

Online domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
Its only going to get worse. nothing you can do outside of repair or replace the unit

Online rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
The door seal is fine and the springs are ok. Could the bearing be wore out and cause this problem? Would rubbing grease on the bearing be helpful or will I have to take it apart to replace it? And is it safe to wash with it like that?
If it makes a loud roaring noise during spin then you'll need to eventually replace the Tub Seal & Bearings (tub seals leaks causing the bearings to rust & fail - grease won't help).
If the Spider is broken then the basket will eventually start rubbing against the Rubber Door Seal/Gasket (causing a burning rubber smell when in high spin).
Possibly an underwire bra is stuck between the basket and tub - Use a flash light to look through bottom portion of inner basket.
To remove underwire bra - Remove the tub to pump hose located at bottom of tub (try to get it out using a wire hanger).
View the Service/Repair Manual below for disassembly instruction's
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzIiBNwRIV4NNXdidFJ6SHRPVzg&usp=sharing&tid=0BzIiBNwRIV4NejF3MTA4T0lxb28
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:27:01 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
If it makes a loud roaring noise during spin then you'll need to eventually replace the Tub Seal & Bearings (tub seals leaks causing the bearings to rust & fail - grease won't help).
If the Spider is broken then the basket will eventually start rubbing against the Rubber Door Seal/Gasket (causing a burning rubber smell when in high spin).
Possibly an underwire bra is stuck between the basket and tub - Use a flash light to look through bottom portion of inner basket.
To remove underwire bra - Remove the tub to pump hose located at bottom of tub (try to get it out using a wire hanger).
View the Service/Repair Manual below for disassembly instruction's
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzIiBNwRIV4NNXdidFJ6SHRPVzg&usp=sharing&tid=0BzIiBNwRIV4NejF3MTA4T0lxb28
I'll be hopefully tearing it apart this weekend or next and will keep posted with what I find

Offline travisroberts88

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
Its only going to get worse. nothing you can do outside of repair or replace the unit
I'm gonna tear it apart and try to see what I find. Other than what I have with it it works perfect and was just given to me so I'll attempt the repair first lol

Online rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
If the tub seal is leaking (which causes the bearings to fail - usually makes loud roaring noise during high spin) then you'll usually see oily/dirty residue on the Rotor and/or Stator (must remove rear panel).
If the Spider is broken on the Basket/Drum then usually the front end is not aligned (look at 360 degree gap between basket and rubber door seal/gasket before you rotate and while rotating basket).  Broken spider usually causes the Basket to rub against (and peel away rubber from) the Door Gasket and usually causes a burning rubber smell during high spin.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:03:46 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline seematt

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
And it's a pain in the butt to replace the bearings.  Doing it now, only the video doesn't tell you about the shock absorbers and they come apart.  According to the LG service manual, if they come apart you need to replace them.  The rear one was deformed, so I'm ordering new ones.  Appliance pros won't do Saturday delivery but Part select will.  Oh hell, I just found the shock absorbers for $10 less on Amazon.

kenmore washer clicking on spin cycle

Started by seek1369

Replies: 8
Views: 9430
Last post January 30, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
by JWWebster
LG WM2101HW makes awful noise during spin cycle - bearing?

Started by lagunawasher

Replies: 7
Views: 3046
Last post January 11, 2013, 09:16:42 PM
by tgoods
Kenmore 110.27432300 knocking during spin cycle

Started by Ken123

Replies: 5
Views: 497
Last post April 03, 2014, 07:02:48 AM
by fairbank56
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3416
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Kenmore frontloader 417.42142100 shaking when in spin cycle

Started by candoan

Replies: 3
Views: 4351
Last post January 28, 2008, 06:04:40 AM
by candoan
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 4951
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster