Author Topic: Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems  (Read 6326 times)

Offline wet

• VIP Member
Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
Dryer heat stopped working. unit would still tumble. replaced heat coil )which i thought was the problem), but still no heat. went and bought an ohm meter, old heater coil was fine (so i did not replace it), checked around and found that it was the thermal cut-off fuse. Bought the whole kit and replaced the high limit thermostat along with the therman cut-off fuse. Turned in the unit and it got hot, very hot immediately. Smelled a lot. Touched the back of the coil unit and nearly burned my hand! How hot is this supposed to get? Does this sound like anythings wrong?

Now after running the dryer for about 5 minutes, there was a clicking sound coming out of the back. When I cut the breaker off it stopped. Havent gone back to find out the orgin of that. I did have one question about the high limit thermostat. I have three wires from my dryer, two red and one orange. The new high limit has terminals for the two red and came with a connector wire from the thermostat to the element. What do i do with the extra orange wire?

High limit old part #3399693

replacement part # 3390291.

Thanks for your help!

Model 11066712692

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
The kit has a jumper for that timer wire.
Did you remove the filter housing and clean it and the inspect and clean the vent?
Click on them picture to enlarge em:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
That gold spade connector has a jumper attached to it so yall can add the timer wire (usually orange) there. The dryer features AUTODRY which works by alternating power to the timer motor when the element is not on. The control thermostat kills power to the element when the desired temp is reached. These control termostats get out of kilter and cause overheating killing the lower limit (over time). Sounds to me yall need ta replace the control stat also if a good cleaning don't solve it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 41359
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
kenmore 80 series electric dryer

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 4
Views: 12181
Last post June 24, 2008, 11:48:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
70 series Kenmore electric dryer spins but does not heat

Started by llew_x

Replies: 52
Views: 47758
Last post July 23, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 70 series electric dryer no heat again

Started by weadhopper

Replies: 5
Views: 5643
Last post May 14, 2009, 11:13:08 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 70 series electric dryer no heat again

Started by connie

Replies: 10
Views: 4745
Last post June 09, 2009, 05:59:07 AM
by connie
Kenmore (70) electric dryer timer problems??

Started by bigzinmiami

Replies: 3
Views: 2955
Last post September 13, 2009, 02:59:04 PM
by Repair-man