Author Topic: Amana garage refrigerator freezer not as cold as it could be  (Read 4041 times)

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
Amana garage refrigerator freezer not as cold as it could be
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
I don't have the model number handy.  I've got an Amana refrigerator in the garage.  The freezer seems not to be as cold during the coldest temps during winter.  Usually the problem goes away when the garage warms up a little.  I chalked it up to the compressor oil getting thicker due to colder temps and not circulating as well.  I have set the freezer setting to a colder setting, but I notice the freezer stays about the same temp.  I am thinking about moving it to the basement, where the temperature stays pretty constant say in the low to mid 60s.  I figure that since the freezer settings are higher, the freezer coils might have become frozen and aren't working properly?  Would it help to empty out the fridge and turn it off for about a day when it is moved downstairs so any frozen part can thaw.  Then plug it back in and set the fridge and freezer to the factory settings?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Amana garage refrigerator freezer not as cold as it could be
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
Refrigerators do not perform well in a cold environment.
Assuming there is nothing wrong with the unit it will do better where it is warmer.
Yes,you should let it stay off overnight after moving it in the event there is a frost buildup on the evaporator coil.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Tech2000

• Technician
  • work hard/play hard
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
It's simple thermodynamics. Vapor compression systems need an established temperature difference to absorb and reject heat.

Offline Tech2000

• Technician
  • work hard/play hard
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
It's like running your a/c when it's 30 degrees outside. theres no heat to boil the refrigerant and the condenser becomes too efficient not allowing for good heat transfer.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »
I run into this all the time up here on the mechanical style systems.  Frigidaire even sells a 'garage' kit.  There is no temperature sensor in the freezer, the knob for the freezer only controls a damper between the fridge and the freezer.  If it is cold, the fridge doesn't get warm enough to turn on the compressor, and with a mechanical timer every 8 to 10 hours the defrost cycle still runs and warms the evap. coils up to where the thermostat stops it (40 to 50 degrees F).  Eventually the freezer thaws and the fridge stays cool. Putting the fridge where it won't get below 40 usually solves the problem.

The Frigidaire kit simply adds a heater (I think it is 4 watts) around the oil bulb for the temperature sensor that comes on when the defrost cycle runs to insure that the compressor turns back on after the defrost cycle finishes.  I keep one in stock.
Serving North Idaho

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
depending on model number,
on some Fridges, the (Compressor) Cold Control senses the Freezer temeprature...
If the Freezer is happy, the Compressor won't run ... Fridge temperature may suffer
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7900
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer

Started by ryanpd

Replies: 2
Views: 3746
Last post December 08, 2008, 08:50:28 PM