Author Topic: Whirlpool gearcase/clutch/spin tube question (ATTN: Repair-man)  (Read 2892 times)

Offline landlady

• VIP Member
I'd welcome anyone's help, but read something Repair-man had posted a couple of years ago, and it seems to apply.

My issue: I bought an LSR8444LQ1 new for a rental property in 2004. In June 2010, it was spinning weakly, then quit spinning.  All other functions were fine.  Inspection revealed a spray ring of oil on the inside of the cabinet and an oil-soaked clutch.  Plenty of evidence dried drip evidence that prior tenant had overloaded washer and it had overflowed, likely the cause of the gearcase throwing oil.  Rather than replace/repair the gearcase and clutch, husband and I took the machine out of service and kept it for parts.

Replaced with a used Whirlpool LSR8233EZ0 which had only a bit of a problem in jerking to a stop at the end of spin.  Resolved that problem with silcone grease in brake, fix which lasted 7 months.  That machine then only occasionally spun, then quit spinning.  Also could not spin tub by hand, and visual inspection showed the brakes hanging up again, even with new silicone grease.  Didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the brakes.

Figured that the 8233EZ0 gearcase was still good, so did a transplant of that with it's clutch into the 8444Q1 machine. Spun when empty, but not when full.  Pulled the gearcase we'd just put in out, inspected clutch.  Pads were much thinner than new clutch we had on hand, so replaced with the new clutch.  Nope, no spin.

Coupler okay, lid switch okay, visual inspection of drive block seemed to be okay (no evidence of deterioration in the dogs, no shavings under the agitator).  Repair-man, in this post;  http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=1883.30 said something about needing to replace the spin tube after water has gotten down to the gearcase via the spindle.  Is that what we're missing, perhaps?  If so, can you explain why would that be an issue?

Any other ideas?  I'm one stumped landlady.  Many thanks!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool gearcase/clutch/spin tube question (ATTN: Repair-man)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Inspect the main drive gear in the tranny, let me know, oh and while you have the cover plate off replace the seal and add some oil to that leaker.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:17:18 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline landlady

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
My husband did take apart the gearcase that sprayed oil, but did not know what to look for. He did observe that there was still quite a lot of oil in there.   It is not resealed, so I'll have him find that gear, and we'll see if we can get a good digital photo to you.  When you say replace the seal, we saw the red adhesive around the edges of the case - is that what you mean? Or is there a seal at the bottom of the shaft?

Many thanks for taking the time to help out!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
It is the small shaft seal that is leaking in the spin cycle. The cover seal. Let me see if I can post the part number: NUMBER 3

Go to either box to yer left there where it says enter model number and then yall can get that part it is in the gearcase section of the diagrams for yer machine.

That leaky seal causes this. click on picture to enlarge:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:30:10 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline landlady

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
JW, That VERY clear - thanks so much for the link.  What would my husband use to reseal the case that he took apart, and what type of oil to refill gearcase?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »
He could use some permatex2 for the tranny cover and some GS 90 for the oil or yall can pay $20 for the oil from whirlpool and the gasket.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline landlady

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks - it'll probably get to be the weekend before we get to this, as it is now a "spare" for our rental.  Really appreciate the info!

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 25139
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
whirlpool washer coupler repair question

Started by acbclberbjcb

Replies: 1
Views: 1964
Last post October 24, 2008, 06:40:18 PM
by Repair-man