Author Topic: oven not igniting and temperature uncontrollable (temp going up and down)  (Read 2554 times)

Offline woody

• VIP Member
G.E. XL44 Gas Range (purchased 1998)
MODEL # JGBS22BEA1AD
SERIAL # TT165913P

PROBLEM --- When the oven is turned on, the Igniter ( I guess that is what it is called – it is the metal wire down in the broiler section that glows orange-red hot) comes on o.k. but the oven burner will not ignite for an extremely long time ( as long as an hour or more – sometimes not at all).  If and when the burner does ignite then the temperature is not constant ( when the oven temperature control is set at 350 degrees the oven temperature will drift up and down between 200 and 450 degrees which makes baking impossible).

According to advice given to me, the oven burner not igniting sounds like it could be the IGNITER, but what about the temperature ( if the oven does ignite) going up and down?

What is the problem?

Thank You,
L. Koch

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
That to me sounds like the sensor is out of spec.

XL44 service manual: True Temp oven service manual
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
I believe this is going to be the igniter. The gas valve will not open until the igniter pulls a certain amount of current. If the igniter is weak it can take longer for the gas valve to open if it opens at all. Most of the time if the igniter is weak the burner will not light at all but I have seen some that would light eventually.

The only way to know for sure is to check it with an amp meter. Yours has a flat igniter so it should draw 3.4-3.6 amps shortly after it starts to glow. If you don’t have an amp meter go ahead and replace the igniter because it is the most likely cause for your problem. 

This can also account for your erratic temperature problem because when the thermostat tries to cycle it takes too long for the gas to relight therefore the temperature will drop too low before relighting. Although this wouldn’t account for it getting too hot so go ahead and test the sensor as well.  I hope this helps!
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline woody

• VIP Member
I sincerely thank both of you for your help.  I will replace both the sensor and igniter.

Frigidaire oven temp sensor probe?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 7536
Last post July 08, 2007, 06:06:26 PM
by AJ
Amana Gas oven won't reach full temp

Started by slick50

Replies: 3
Views: 4113
Last post February 01, 2008, 09:49:57 PM
by slick50