Author Topic: Kenmore series 400 washer--fills then nothing  (Read 16126 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore series 400 washer--fills then nothing
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
Glad you could get it a going. The lid switch has 2 live wires and a green ground wire. You can tie them 2 live wires together and wash but it ain't safe if you have people around that might want to play with a washer while it is spinning at full blast. Arms get ripped off and such. Thanks to Ralph Nader for the heads up buddy. Like AJ says get a new switch to be safe  O0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:30:04 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 03:38:11 PM »
I will as soon as I have a spare $20. Until then, there are no kids here and I'm not silly enough to stick anything in there while it's moving. Not to mention that I can't afford the laundromat once a week.

O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
I understand, money goes fast at the laundry mat.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
Well guys, here we go again. The washer was working fine for a few weeks. Then it did the same thing again. Fills with water, then nothing. Won't agitate, won't empty, won't spin. Nothing. The only difference this time is I can still spin the agitator counter clockwise by hand.  I went back to the lid switch. This time I cut the wires and direct bypassed the dam thing. Still nothing. So, I guess it's NOT the lid switch after all. What's next, the timer? Does it sometimes work, then not work, when it's gone bad? Also, is there maybe some kind of fuse in the system that I've overlooked? Please help, as I cannot afford the laundromat.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
What's next, the timer? Does it sometimes work, then not work, when it's gone bad?

Could be the timer or a bad connection. With the timer knob pulled out/on wiggle the knob around to see if it will kick in and start. If it does then your looking at a bad timer.

If wiggling the timer knob around does not do anything I would wiggle the motor wire harness plug around and see if the washer kicks in and starts running. Maybe a bad connection on the motor wire harness plug.

Also, is there maybe some kind of fuse in the system that I've overlooked?

No fuse in the washer and if the washer is filling with water you should have power at the outlet, unless for some reason you lost power at the outlet after the washer fill with water.

It would not hurt to check the outlet that the washer is plugged into for power. If you don't have a volt meter just plug a lamp or something else into the outlet to see if it powers up ok.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Check your capacitor, part # 8572717
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
Well, not sure how to check capacitor, but I did what Whirlpooltech said. Jiggling the knob didn't do anything, but after unplugging and replugging the motor, everything works again. The plug was tight but who knows? I did have it apart once before when I was checking it the first time. I'm beginning to see how appliance servicemen make a good living. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
OK JW, how does one test the capacitor?? Machine was working, then it quit again. I waited 2 hours, went down and pulled the knob out--it starts working again. So it's an intermittant thing. Is that signs of the capacitor going bad??

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
This video shows you how to check a capacitor.

I don't think your capacitor is going to give you a intermittent problem like your having.

With the cabinet off, timer on and lid switch jumped I would wiggle the motor plug to see if the washer kicks in. Don't unplug the motor plug just wiggle it around. If the washer starts up you need to look closely for a bad connection in the motor wire harness plug.

There is also the chance that the motor is over heating and cutting out on the built in overload. When the motor cools down the overload that is built into the motor resets and the motor works again.

Does the motor ever feel hot to the touch when it quits working?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »
That's better than I had. I had my suicide cord which I power up the capacitor briefly. If it don't explode I next short it out to see if I can make it pop. If it don't make a popping noise when shorted out it is open. NOTE: I first determine with my meter if the capacitor is shorted before doing the test. Yes I have had a cap blow up in my face.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »
I haven't noticed it being hot. It's more of an intermitant thing. It hasn't done it now for a few days. Sometimes I can do 6 loads in a row with no problem. Next day it will quit after one. So it's probably in the dam plug connector. Whirlpool quality at it's finest.

Offline savagepat1

• VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
Solved!! After all this messing around and cutting wires and multiple disassemblies.....I finally figured it out. It was doing the same thing again. So I pulled the cabinet and started wiggling wires with it in the ON position. All of a sudden it starts working. Right when I wiggle the single white wire right next to the motor plug. I saw it spark a little. so I repaired the connection and haven't had a problem since. I still need to replace the hood switch, but that's all. Done.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Glad you got it fixed.  O0

Thanks for the update!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline abranch

• VIP Member
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
Hi guys. I am having sort of the same issue with my Kenmore Washer. It fills with water, then nothing happens. There is a slight humming but then it stops. I've replaced the lid switch so that wasn't the problem. Any suggestions?

Online fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »

Please start a new thread and provide the washer model number.

Eric

Kenmore 90 Series washer: Cold water does not fill wash, but fills rinse

Started by purnell1

Replies: 4
Views: 1027
Last post December 02, 2013, 07:52:49 AM
by purnell1
Kenmore Washer 400 series MDL: 28432700 Fills with water then nothing

Started by abranch

Replies: 8
Views: 1073
Last post December 04, 2013, 03:32:27 PM