Author Topic: Maytag Performa washer rattles and jiggles excessively during spin cycle  (Read 4614 times)

Offline junodaniels

• VIP Member
This rattling and jingling happens every time. The load of laundry is never out of balance, and I have verified that the machine itself (at least the cabinet exterior) is level in both directions. I followed advice posted earlier and opened the cabinet to "inspect the balancing mechanism". Nothing looks broken and all the springs are still connected. What else should I be looking for, and how?

Model PAV2200AWW

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
I would take the front panel off and lift machine with paint can,and check your pump pulley,and motor drive pulley.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
To check that pump remove the belt. (no tool needed)
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline junodaniels

• VIP Member
Thanks, that was a great idea about looking at the pulley. It looks fine, but I noticed that the motor itself moves around easily. It is anchored to the base at one point (let's call it north) with a spring. At the opposite side, south, it moves from side to side at least a half inch or more. That, of course, changes the tension on the pulley. It doesn't look like anything is missing, but what do I know? How can I get the motor anchored down so it doesn't move?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I have heard of folk using a coat hanger but the correct thing to do is replace the worn springs. You gonna have play in the motor that is just how that puppy is designed. How about that pump is it stiff?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
If the tub is moving excessively, it means the snubber pad under the transmission is losing its ability to keep the movement down to a minimum as it was designed. This can  happen from several years of doing large loads or over-frequent use of the mchine. Correcting this problem requires removing the springs, pulling the whole tub/transmission out as a whole piece, then flipping it over to remove the brake assy. You'll need sa copuple of fairly expensive tools to accomplish the repair. (BRAKE TOOL, SPRING TOOL)

If all you are hearing is a rattling sound during spin, chances are something may be in the water pump, so remove it completely and have a look in both openings or take the base plate off the pump. Do not even think of restraining your drive motor, as it is designed to float freely on the base plate.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline junodaniels

• VIP Member
How about that pump is it stiff?

Do you mean, is it hard to make the drive belt go around the pulley under the pump? No. the drive belt moves freely around all three contact points.

Offline junodaniels

• VIP Member
If the tub is moving excessively, it means the snubber pad under the transmission is losing its ability to keep the movement down to a minimum as it was designed. This can  happen from several years of doing large loads or over-frequent use of the mchine. Correcting this problem requires removing the springs, pulling the whole tub/transmission out as a whole piece, then flipping it over to remove the brake assy. You'll need sa copuple of fairly expensive tools to accomplish the repair. (BRAKE TOOL, SPRING TOOL)

If all you are hearing is a rattling sound during spin, chances are something may be in the water pump, so remove it completely and have a look in both openings or take the base plate off the pump. Do not even think of restraining your drive motor, as it is designed to float freely on the base plate.

It's not just a rattling noise, though it is loud. The washer "walks" along the floor several inches away from its original position.

It sounds like it would be just as expensive to buy those tools (which I may never use again) as to have a service call. The procedure you describe may also be above my abilities as a rookie DIYer. I think I should get an estimate from a repair company based on your description, and if it is insanely expensive, it may be time to buy a new washer.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
It sounds like it would be just as expensive to buy those tools (which I may never use again) as to have a service call. The procedure you describe may also be above my abilities as a rookie DIYer. I think I should get an estimate from a repair company based on your description, and if it is insanely expensive, it may be time to buy a new washer.

I agree with everything you have  gleaned from my post. Follow those guidelines and  you can't go wrong.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Maytag Performa washer agitates during spin cycle but will not spin

Started by Bill

Replies: 4
Views: 7110
Last post May 20, 2010, 06:57:59 AM
by schaffersapplian
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 2197