Author Topic: Kenmore Series 80 Washer  (Read 7824 times)

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
Kenmore Series 80 Washer
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Hi, I have a Kenmore Series 80 Washer which was working fine. Last week as a load was in the wash and the washer reached the spin cycle, the machine started to produce this grinding/whirring noise and the basket did not spin.

I thought the motor coupling broke, but upon inspection it turns out not to be the coupler - it looks fine. I even jumped out the the lid switch to check that it was in working order, which it was. I removed the gearcase and inspected the clutch and nothing looks out of order - no broken pieces, nothing looks worn.

I changed the agitator dogs although the agitator works. When I put it in spin cycle it seems like the basket is trying to spin but it does not engage and only makes the whirring noise. I checked the clutch while the machine is running but it is stationary and I can see that the coupler is spinning but not the clutch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model 11022882101

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore Series 80 Washer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »
Just to clarify, I am including a link to youtube where you can hear and see the defective washer. The link is below. Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
I can tell you exactly what to do. An object is between the inner and outer tub and that object is keeping the spin action from happening. Remove the inner tub and get that object out. This video shows how:
Tub seal replacement and more importantly how to remove that inner tub my friend
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
Great, I'll try that and let you know how it comes out. I'm kind of hoping that's all it is and that I don't have to spring for something like a new transmission. Thanks.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
If you're sure the coupler is good and the clutch is not spinning, then it has to be a bad transmission.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Verify that it is fact agitating.
Next check the drain pump for a obstruction like a nail or underwire.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
My washer was making that exact noise and not spinning and I put 2 transmissions in it before removing the inner tub and finding a magic marker.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
Well today I was able to remove the inner basket but I did not find any foreign object between the basket and the tub. There is nothing obstructing the drain pump that I can see.  I'm including a video of the drive block which looks okay to me. What should I look for on the drive block to possibly eliminate that as the cause of the washer not working?

If the drive block is fine I guess it would either be the clutch or the transmission. Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
I don't see nothing wrong there. You need to get the tranny out now.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Okay, meaning I should replace it? Over the weekend I did take out the transmission and tried to open it up to take a look inside but I was unsuccessful in getting the cover off. I took out the screws but it was sealed so tightly that I was not even able to get a putty knife in to pry it open.

So you think my best bet is to get a replacement transmission? Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
Pry the cover off and remove the main gear. Inspect the spin pawl. You may can repair the tranny for $5 part. The spin pawl is all snug up against the innards when the washer fist begins spinning. This allows the water to be pumped out without straining the motor. A built in pause in the timer momentarily shuts down the power to the motor and the spin pawl gets slung outwards. When the washer resumes spinning the spin pawl catches one of the 3 spin bosses under that main drive pulley and the drum begins to rotate. Their is also a plastic part under the washer called a brake cam actuator. It must release the brake so the basket can turn free. If the ear is broken on it, it won't release the brake. The basket drive also needs to be checked.
Here is a video: Basket drive and spin tube removal
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:07:57 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
The main drive gear gets smooth too so if it is worn out that could be the problem also.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »
I looked at the video for removing the basket drive and the gentleman on the video makes it look ridiculously simple to remove, but as I turn the brake counterclockwise as instructed, the basket drive does not release but rather spins along.

Here is a link to a few pictures of the transmission, clutch and brake.

http://cid-c4d79494403b63a4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Washer/Photo0228.jpg

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
Must I removed the inner tub and the drive block in order to remove the basket drive from the bottom?

Offline gregd1

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
I was able to remove the basket drive and inspect it and it seems just fine (see link to pics below).  My next step is to try again to open the gearcase and see if the spin pawls are broken as recommended. Thanks.

http://cid-c4d79494403b63a4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Basket%20Drive/Photo0235.jpg

Kenmore 80 Series Washer

Started by shawnrconnelly

Replies: 5
Views: 5480
Last post October 25, 2007, 09:46:52 AM
by Pegi
KENMORE WASHER 60 series

Started by amnesty

Replies: 7
Views: 13346
Last post March 06, 2008, 02:48:23 PM
by JWWebster