Author Topic: Whirlpool Dish Washer-How to test the thermostat  (Read 3868 times)

Offline LT30

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dish Washer-How to test the thermostat
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
Hi,

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher, model DU1055XTPB4.  It will not continue to the next step after the water is put in.  All it will do is fill and drain (drain when I press drain).  

I am trying to determine if the thermostat is faulty.  Does anyone know how to test it? If so, can you explain how to test it?  Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool Dish Washer-How to test the thermostat
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
Sounds like you have either a bad wash motor or bad control.

Offline LT30

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Thanks.  I found paperwork at the bottom of the unit which is for the actual technician's use.   I followed the instructions to determine if either the control board or the actual console assembly (i.e. touch pad) was at fault.   I've determined that the actual touch pad is at fault.  I'm no technician by any means.  What I found was that when I pulled the ribbon off the console, and pulled the thermistor off two times within 6 seconds, the unit, as the instructions stated, started in diagnostics mode and then proceeded to fill with water and then the same problem occurred.  The instructions state that if this happens the console is at fault and needs to be replaced.  If nothing happend and I was sure I followed the instructions properly, which I am confident that I did, then the control board was at fault and in need of replacement. 

Are there any other tests I could conduct on the console to reassure myself that it is the problem?  Is it possible that the LEDs would light when I press a console butten yet the actual console is at fault with some sort of short within it?

Thanks for your help   !

Larry

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
Are you able to get into diagnostics using the key dance, Heated Dry-Normal-Heated Dry-Normal?  The only time you need to unplug the thermistor to enter diagnostics is if the console is inoperable.  When you entered diagnostics it should have cycled everything.  If the wash pump still doesn't start, then it's still a problem with the motor or control board.  I don't replace many control boards but replace a lot of pumps on these models.

Offline LT30

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:43 AM »
I think I did this at first yet got the same problem, the water comes in and then that's it. nothing but little humming.   If I then press drain, the water drains.

So, are you telling me I need to press Heated Dry then Normal then Heated Dry then then Normal?  What should I expect to hear?  That is, what is the next cycle..heating the water?

I know if I touch the different buttons on the touch pad the LEDs light. Does this suggest that it's working OK and not in need of replacement?

Thanks for all your help......

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
The diagnostic cycle is just the regular cycle reduced to 16 minutes.  After the dishwasher is done filling, there is a lag of 5 seconds and then the wash pump will run for 2 minutes 45 seconds.  If you are hearing a hum during this time, your wash pump is bad.

Offline LT30

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
Ok thank you for all of your help.  Can you suggest where I can get one?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
You have two part options.  W10239404 is just the pump motor.  W10237169 is the complete sump assembly.  You can order it from site affiliates,  Repairclinic.com or Appliancepartspros.com.

Offline LT30

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks.....by the way, what is it that goes in the motors?  Is it the brushes and contacts? 

I thin I am going to order the whole assembly, while I have it out I may as well replace the pump too.

Whirlpool Dish washer (Getting to chopper assemply)

Started by mbell1abf

Replies: 7
Views: 4115
Last post June 17, 2008, 07:17:30 PM
by mbell1abf
Frigidaire Dish washer stops mid cycle

Started by jimblackjim

Replies: 4
Views: 8725
Last post January 13, 2009, 10:22:57 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
kenmore dish washer 665.13119K701 noisy