Author Topic: GE Dryer (bad sound)  (Read 4285 times)

Offline jfidler

• VIP Member
GE Dryer (bad sound)
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
I have a GE Dryer DBXR463ED1WW.

When we turn the dryer on it starts making a sound that seems to be coming from the front of the dryer (blower/motor area). I took the dryer apart with some of the instructions that were posted. The belt looks fine and is on properly. The drum glides appear to be fine (I don't see worn metal or anything around the area the drum would slide against). The noise will get louder when I push down on the drum while in motion... as if when pushed down on the idler pulley/wheel it has some effect. I also spun the blower fan around manually with my finger and it appears that it may be catching on something (maybe... not positive).

I recorded the sound coming from my dryer. It gets a little louder as the dryer stays on. You can also hear the sound it makes when I turn it off... almost like a winding down sound.

Here is the recorded sound: www.jaustin.com/sounds/ge-dryer-sound.wav

Thanks,
Joseph

Offline jfidler

• VIP Member
Re: GE Dryer (bad sound)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
I also spun the blower fan around manually with my finger and it appears that it may be catching on something (maybe... not positive).

It's definitely the blower fan. It seems like its loose. It keeps rubbing against the front frame of the dryer. I can push it back with my finger and the sound will go away until the fan spins itself back against the front.

Is this an easy fix?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »
Something in the blower housing I bet ya. Get that blower out and get that metal object out from bihnd it. Might be from a woman's undergarment. Curved wire thing. On a GE dryer you just bacl off a screw and the clamp comes off then the blower slides out pretty easy. Nothing to it. get the front panel off.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:36:47 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jfidler

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »
Something in the blower housing I bet ya. Get that blower out and get that metal object out from bihnd it. Might be from a woman's undergarment. Curved wire thing. On a GE dryer you just bacl off a screw and the clamp comes off then the blower slides out pretty easy. Nothing to it. get the front panel off.

Thanks for the information. I will try that because when i tightened the blower fan it didn't do anything to fix the problem. I will let you know what I find.

Offline jfidler

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »

I got into the blower housing and even removed the motor... no loose pieces of metal or plastic anywhere. However, the blower fastener had come loose again (I attached a picture of the fastener to make sure I'm calling it by the right name). I tightened this back up and the initial sound has stopped. I'm going to keep an eye out on it to see if it loosens itself again. If it does, I guess I'll have to purchase this part.

The dryer sounds a lot better but I now have a new sound. This sound is more like a bird chirp and it seems to coincide with 1 revolution of the drum.

Here is this sound... name that tune: www.jaustin.com/sounds/ge-dryer-sound2.wav

I appreciate the help Danny.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »
You need part # WE3X75
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Oyabun

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:31 AM »
I have a GE Dryer DBXR463ED1WW.

When we turn the dryer on it starts making a sound that seems to be coming from the front of the dryer (blower/motor area). I took the dryer apart with some of the instructions that were posted. The belt looks fine and is on properly. The drum glides appear to be fine (I don't see worn metal or anything around the area the drum would slide against). The noise will get louder when I push down on the drum while in motion... as if when pushed down on the idler pulley/wheel it has some effect. I also spun the blower fan around manually with my finger and it appears that it may be catching on something (maybe... not positive).

I recorded the sound coming from my dryer. It gets a little louder as the dryer stays on. You can also hear the sound it makes when I turn it off... almost like a winding down sound.

Here is the recorded sound: www.jaustin.com/sounds/ge-dryer-sound.wav

Thanks,
Joseph

Joseph I had to create an account to thank you for posting that audio clip and continuing to update this. My GE dryer started grinding but I couldn't tell where the sound was originating. I swapped all the glides, the rear bearings and performed other maintenance and still got grinding. Loose blower nut was the culprit.

Many thanks to you and JWWebster.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 03:59:13 AM »
Way ta get er done  O0
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Dryer makes electric sound and hard to start

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 3
Views: 1701
Last post February 07, 2009, 09:55:51 PM
by JWWebster
Dryer has metal popping sound

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 1
Views: 1592
Last post April 30, 2010, 03:59:02 PM