Author Topic: GE front load washer has smoke in the drum and sounds very load when it spins  (Read 13041 times)

Offline sbaty

• VIP Member
My GE front load washer sounded really load during the spin cycle a couple days ago. Then we saw smoke in the laundry room. My husband looked at the back of the machine and found some nut? very loose and tightened it back up. We also opened the drain in front and found a large amount of lint/coins/debris. Removed the pump to check for any debris and just found a lot of black residue. Upon another test load he checked the front drain again and there are pieces of plastic! It sounds really load still when it gets to the last few minutes of the spin cycle, but doesn't seem wobbly anymore. And there is a light smoke inside the drum. Anyone know what I should do from here?? Machine is 4yrs old, and I would really like to fix this ourselves if possible. Don't know what to check next!! HELP!!

Model WCVH6260F0WW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Might be a bearing gone out: REPAIR MANUAL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sbaty

• VIP Member
Thanks for the repair manual link :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
This washer is relatively new to the scene. Any info or pictures of your repairs will be appreciated by all.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
My GE front load washer sounded really load during the spin cycle a couple days ago. Then we saw smoke in the laundry room. My husband looked at the back of the machine and found some nut? very loose and tightened it back up. We also opened the drain in front and found a large amount of lint/coins/debris. Removed the pump to check for any debris and just found a lot of black residue. Upon another test load he checked the front drain again and there are pieces of plastic! It sounds really load still when it gets to the last few minutes of the spin cycle, but doesn't seem wobbly anymore. And there is a light smoke inside the drum. Anyone know what I should do from here?? Machine is 4yrs old, and I would really like to fix this ourselves if possible. Don't know what to check next!! HELP!!

First off see what it does because tightening the nut could have very well repaired the problem.

I have seen a few times where the tub would rub the door gasket during a high-speed spin. It wouldnít do it until the tub was spinning over 800 rpms (last few minutes of spin cycle). When this happens the drum will fill with smoke and it will smell like burning rubber. You will also get small pieces of rubber that may get into the drain. It seems like there is a chance yours is doing the same thing from what you describe. Rotate the drum by hand and see if it wobbles up and down more than a ľ inch if so this could be the problem. Two things that could cause this and they are a drum out of round or the bearing isnít holding the drum straight. I personally havenít seen a bearing bad yet but I have been reading and hearing about them so that is a chance. I have however seen three drums out of round and speaking with GE it sounds like it is somewhat common.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline sbaty

• VIP Member
We tightened the nut but there seems to be a little play in the metal piece(drive pulley?), looks like it has worn the edges where it fits onto the drum.. And when you manually rotate the drum you can see that it is slightly out of round! So I know how to replace the drive piece but how do I fix the drum being out of round??

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
Try the pulley first.

You will have to replace the whole drum (very expensive) if it is out of round. Note that all of them will wobble some; they say the allowance is ľ inch. The ones I saw were wobbling Ĺ inch or more. But they still didnít hit until it was spinning at or near full speed. The first two I saw were in warranty. The last one wasnít but the customer called GE and they sold her a new washer for half price.   
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline sbaty

• VIP Member
Thanks! I'll hope for the pulley  :)

Offline April2012

• VIP Member
I know this is an old topic, but my washing machine is also having the same issues.

Model: MCVH6800J0MS - only about 5 years old.

My brother tried to fix it - he says that around the drum their is a plastic ring, it looks like the drum used to ride in it, but that ring  is all torn up.  Does anyone know if that is part of the drum or if that ring part is replaceable?  Does it come with the drum or is it a separate piece?

Offline sbaty

• VIP Member
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/tub-motor-parts-for-ge-wcvh6260f0ww.html

The website above has full diagram of the washer, shows every bolt, belt and seal. Hope it helps:)

Offline Dom DeGeorge

• VIP Member

I have a GE front load washer WCVH6800J1WW and I am having the same issue right not.

Loud banging (like a machine gun shooting) while at full RPM and smoke in the drum that stinks. I am curious if it was the pulley?

What to do...

Frigidaire front load washer spins but not fast enough.Clothers sill soaking wet

Started by lary

Replies: 1
Views: 2049
Last post May 19, 2010, 05:48:56 AM
by Repair-man
ge front load washer spins when empty but not with clothes

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 5
Views: 2577
Last post January 30, 2011, 09:49:26 PM
by ryan111
Frigidaire Front Load Washer FTF1240FS0 spins slowly

Started by annlamlam

Replies: 4
Views: 666
Last post April 06, 2013, 04:50:11 AM
by annlamlam
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 5430
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
frigidaire front load washer

Started by Mikki

Replies: 6
Views: 4449
Last post October 17, 2007, 04:42:52 PM
by Mikki
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4676
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ