Author Topic: Ge side by side fridge  (Read 8597 times)

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
Ge side by side fridge
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:59 AM »
hi to all.  iam hoping to get some help with this fridge .the freezer side will go in defrost mode and defrost everything to a melt down. and then start good again also no water come from  for a while.then i have the other side the botton will freeze the food i  notice at the control panel on top  where  i can  low the temp there a push button  say turbo cool that light allways stay on and will not turn off. now this is  close to 5 years old fridge. any light on this will be helpfull and thank you.

Model GSS25XSRESS

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
Re: Ge side by side fridge
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
anyone have a feeling  what going on with it ?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
This sounds like a thermistor problem:

Here is a GSS service/repair Manual which shows the location of them pesky thermistors:

GSS service repair manual

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
thank for your reply  will have a look at them  dont know about fixing it  but maybe time to call a repair  tect

Offline Tuco

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Sean did a real good job on showing how to test thermistors. If you go to his page he also has a vidio on how to use a volt-ohm meter.
The money you save will more then pay for your meter ( if you don't own one).

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »
 i have a meter never use before i will try  it tom  the fridge was in defrost mode all day and non of the fan came on yet  i think its getting worst  not getting cool even at it highest point 

Offline Tuco

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
Take your time with your meter, try it, its easy to use. Don't give up. Once you learn a few basic things you can use it on your  car, house, motorcycle, or appliances...hang in there Horse.

I was gonna say....if you get in a bind, you could always shoot gun some thermisters on to your fridge That might work too. But better with a meter so you buy only the part you need.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
If the refrigerator is actually in defrost mode for more than 45 minutes the main board is bad. The themistors can cause the heater to stay on too long but after 45 minutes the board is supposed to override the thermistors and terminate the defrost cycle. If the refrigerator goes into defrost more than every 8 hours the main board is bad. If the board is keeping the defrost heater on for more than 45 minutes then the heater may not turn off until the defrost thermostat cuts it off at 140 degrees, which will defrost everything in the freezer.

However it is very uncommon for the board to fail in a way that will cause it to stay in defrost mode or defrost more often than it should. You may have a different problem with the same solution (main board). I assume the compressor is running because you say it freezes the bottom half of the fresh food section. This sounds to me like an airflow problem, which from what you have said the fan isnít running and I assume both condenser and evaporator fans are not on. What you need to do is check for supply voltage to the fan motors at the main board. This page will help with that   http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/refrigerator-fan-motor.html

The first test for each motor is checking the supply voltage to the fans. If that is out then the main board is bad. I hope this helps!
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »
just an update before testing anything this morn as promise.try the 3min open door  to see if fan come on i t didn't .  up from 3am  learning how to use meter when down around 6am and heard a fan its the freezer fan on open the other side   little air coming from from the vent in the back not strong nor fan like. why no fan for 24hrs? but will do testing this morning for sure and get back .again thank for your help to all 

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:37:15 AM »
oh one more thing when testing the fan it  look like i have to have the frigde still power on ,is that right ? and The themistors  the power off?

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
If the refrigerator is actually in defrost mode for more than 45 minutes the main board is bad. The themistors can cause the heater to stay on too long but after 45 minutes the board is supposed to override the thermistors and terminate the defrost cycle. If the refrigerator goes into defrost more than every 8 hours the main board is bad. If the board is keeping the defrost heater on for more than 45 minutes then the heater may not turn off until the defrost thermostat cuts it off at 140 degrees, which will defrost everything in the freezer.

However it is very uncommon for the board to fail in a way that will cause it to stay in defrost mode or defrost more often than it should. You may have a different problem with the same solution (main board). I assume the compressor is running because you say it freezes the bottom half of the fresh food section. This sounds to me like an airflow problem, which from what you have said the fan isnít running and I assume both condenser and evaporator fans are not on. What you need to do is check for supply voltage to the fan motors at the main board. This page will help with that   http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/refrigerator-fan-motor.html

The first test for each motor is checking the supply voltage to the fans. If that is out then the main board is bad. I hope this helps!
Hi, again thank you for the response. I just wanted to update you...after doing some testing
the thermistor, all of the were the right range. I had to use the ohm in 200k because my multi-meter only had from to 2k to 200k. Then i checked the fan and the main board, and i got in the correct voltage range. The freezer fan is coming on but the fridge is not. So what i need to do is to check the fan in the fridge but i do not know how to get to that? Question: how about turbo cool button that always stays on? and could the problem be my control panel, since the main board seems to be okay?

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
I Will like to update...i think my problem is the damper fan?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline horseplay

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »

i did that and everything pass  ok

Sears Whirlpool side by side fridge mfgr in 2000 ice freezes up at bottom of ice

Started by marky

Replies: 12
Views: 6591
Last post April 04, 2010, 06:14:24 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Side By Side Fridge - Water Leak

Started by jhlim

Replies: 1
Views: 1892
Last post January 18, 2009, 03:28:23 PM
by MajorApp
Freezer side 0 degrees fridge side 60 degrees