Author Topic: Kenmore 90 Series dryer - used to stop mid-cycle, now won't start at all  (Read 9979 times)

Offline sguthrie04

• VIP Member
This seems to be a common problem with a lot of different issues/solutions, but I haven't seen my particular scenario addressed so I'm hoping you guys can help. I have a Kenmore 90 Series dryer, about 6 years old (not sure, it came with the house which was built in early 2005). I don't have the model number handy but can add it to this post when I get home if it will help; it's a pretty basic model I'd assume.

A few weeks ago, it began stopping mid-cycle, but could be restarted; now it won't start at all, though it appears to be *trying* to start. Previously, restarting sometimes required me to hold the start button in for a second or two, depending on the amount of "rest" time. Also - again, seemingly dependent on rest time - the dryer would stop again even after restarting. Now when I press (and even hold for many seconds) the start button, it makes a buzzing sound as usual, but the dryer doesn't actually start. The drum does seem harder to turn as well, which I've seen in other posts could be an indicator. The heat seems to work fine (I remember the last finished load coming out warm).

I know this could be a few different things - drum assembly/belt, circuit board, overheating motor, broken motor, etc. - but any hunches about the problem or suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Model 110.66902691

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
I don't have the model number handy but can add it to this post when I get home if it will help

Please do post the model number when you get a chance.

A few weeks ago, it began stopping mid-cycle, but could be restarted; now it won't start at all, though it appears to be *trying* to start.

Sounds like a classic case of a bad motor.

You could take it apart and see if the motor turns freely by hand or not. There is a small chance that something could have got caught in the blower wheel, but i would put my money on the motor needing to be replaced.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sguthrie04

• VIP Member
Wow, thanks to you both, tremendously helpful. Anything else I should keep an eye out for while I'm in there - e.g. belt or other parts damaged or out of place that are usually affected by a bad motor? As I mentioned, the drum is difficult to turn now, so I suspect there may be more going on either because of or in conjunction with the motor.

PS Model number is 110.66902691. Thanks again for the help.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
I looked up the model number of your dryer and found that the part number for the dryer motor is, part # 279787.

It's always a good idea to check the drum rollers, belt and belt idler well you have it apart.

Offline sguthrie04

• VIP Member
Do you know the part numbers for those?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Here you go.

Idler Wheel: Part # 279640

Drum Belt: Part # 661570

Drum Roller/Support: Part # 8536974

Offline sguthrie04

• VIP Member
OK, so I've got the right parts, and - finally >:( - got the motor apart from the fan. The motor was almost definitely the issue; I've never seen more lint all over the place and in all parts of the motor so I'm not surprised it overheated/blew/etc.

Anyway, I'm ready to put it back together, but when I was taking apart the belt/motor assembly, a coiled 2-hook spring came off *something* - I just don't know where it goes since I didn't actually take it off myself. It just suddenly appeared, not connected to anything else. The Sears parts diagram is no help in terms of how it connects or what it does. Any thoughts? I've posted pictures below; the first is the spring itself, with a dime for scale reference. The second is the belt wheel/arm and a small rectangular slot in the dryer floor that looks like it could work. The third is the back of the belt wheel/arm and motor casing assembly - maybe it connects here somehow?

Thanks as always ...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
This video shows how that goes back
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sguthrie04

• VIP Member
Many thanks for all the great advice, repaired the dryer this weekend, and all is running smoothly. PS for future questions about this model, the first video you linked to was good, but I later found this one that shows this model specifically (for example, showing the blower wheel removal, lint screen and wiring in more applicable detail).

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/158

Thanks again,

Steve

Kenmore dryer wont start/quits mid cycle

Started by Jwhite4095

Replies: 3
Views: 3701
Last post May 14, 2009, 07:43:00 AM
by Jwhite4095
Kenmore 80 series dryer does not start

Started by Stephan

Replies: 2
Views: 6233
Last post August 21, 2009, 02:54:57 PM
by JWWebster
Series 70 Kenmore electric Dryer won't start

Started by lardytub

Replies: 9
Views: 5997
Last post January 11, 2010, 05:23:31 PM
by jumptrout51
Kenmore 70 series dryer won't start.

Started by Jpalmer88

Replies: 4
Views: 4654
Last post February 03, 2010, 08:49:48 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 70 Series Dryer Won't Start

Started by billg_7

Replies: 1
Views: 4064
Last post April 02, 2010, 06:10:47 PM
by JWWebster
My Kenmore Series 70 Dryer was on all night and now won't start...

Started by jakeblue

Replies: 26
Views: 9321
Last post November 23, 2010, 03:27:26 PM
by JWWebster