Author Topic: Anyone here familiar with LG PTHP AC Units?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline jonjonbear

• VIP Member
Anyone here familiar with LG PTHP AC Units?
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
Hello all, I have been having this recurring problem since purchasing this unit, LP120HED-Y8. It was purchased for my sunroom and we opted to install the factory wireless remote thermostat.  It was installed in summer and all was well.  Come the first cold snap, it started acting strange.  

1. Heat pump would engage, unit would start normally and begin putting out heat.
2. about 45 seconds later, it would shut down.
3. A minute or two later the compressor would start, and seemed to be running in the cooling mode.
4. after running this way for a few minutes, the compressor would stop, and the outside fan would turn on.
5. after a few minutes of this, the compressor would re-start, and start heating.

It appears to be going into the defrost mode if the outdoor temp is below about 50 degrees.  Oddly, it only does this when the remote thermostat is connected.  If the unit is controlled via the built in, onboard controls, it works fine.
We didn't like the wireless thermostat so we ran a t-stat wire and connected a standard, digital setback thermostat.  Got the same issue so it's not the LG thermostat.  
I contacted LG, and the main tech at that time figured it was a defective machine. They sent me a brand new one.  Guess what?  It does the same thing.
What bothers me the most about this is the terrible amount of energy it wastes.  When the stat calls for second stage heating, it runs the heat strips which that part works fine.  If I have two of these that do this, I am sure others have.  What on earth could be the fix?  Seems like a firmware issue to me.

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Offline LG DUDE

• VIP Member
Re: Anyone here familiar with LG PTHP AC Units?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »
Probably the best thing to do is either call the store you bought it from to get service or call LG for a service company authorized in LG in your area. Sorry I don't work on heat pumps.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:19:04 AM »
LG dude how can I start up a service company for LG in my area?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
Your remote t-stat as well as your hard wire stat have to be correctly programmed for 2 heat 1 cool settings.
Re-check your t-stat programming.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline LG DUDE

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »
I will let you know tommorrow.

Offline LG DUDE

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
OK here's what you do to get an LG account Call LG and find out who is your field rep in your area .Then e-mail him most likely and ask him if they need a servicer in your area.That's all I know. Hope that helps Karma.

fedders out side ac units

Started by fullerdan27

Replies: 5
Views: 2270
Last post May 29, 2009, 08:29:58 PM
by Icehouse
Charging Air Conditioning Units

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 3
Views: 2105
Last post June 10, 2009, 12:15:51 AM
by JWWebster