Author Topic: Electrical Burning Smell and crackling sound  (Read 4065 times)

Offline car4jay

• VIP Member
Electrical Burning Smell and crackling sound
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
  Today, out of the sudden, my refrigerator starting making a crackling sound sort of an electrical short circuit and an awful burning smell. I followed the sound and found the problem. In the back bottom of the fridge close to were the motor is; there is a hose connection point together with wires and connector. There seems to be some condensation built up on the hoses and wires which made the connector and wires cause a short. The refri is working fine but I am sure its going to get worse if it keeps burning the wires. I am attaching a pic hoping I can get a quick solution as chritsmas is coming up and wont have a fridge for food. Thank you in advance.

Model GSS22KGMA WW

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: Electrical Burning Smell and crackling sound
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Thats the water valve. Turn your water to the frig off. Clean up that connection and look for the leak. Could be a cracked hose or a bad connection. Those look look like push on connectors.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »
Turn off the water to the icemaker/dispenser.  It is more likely a leak than condensation. Unplug the fridge.There should be one or two screws mounting the valve to the back of the fridge, by taking them out you will have better access to the water tubing.  These are simple slip connection fittings and if you press the plastic ring up into the valve it will allow you to remove the tubing with a simple pull.  You can then clean and inspect the tubing and valve for grooves, scratches, cracks or an uneven cut that would allow the leak.  If you have to trim the tube use a new blade in a utility knife and cut straight on a hard surface.  Put it all back together and put a dry paper towel between the valve and the wires to make it easy to check for leaks.  Make sure someone operates the dispenser while you are checking as some of the connections are only under pressure when water is called for.  You may have to wait for the ice maker to cycle to check that connection, or when you plug it back in press the paddle that checks for ice in 3 times and it will force a cycle, just make sure it has ice in it and not water or it will overflow.
Serving North Idaho

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
The burnt wiring in the plug will have to be repaired.  Cut the burnt wiring out install a jumper wire around the plug.  Use wire nuts and use the same gauge or larger wire.

Offline car4jay

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
Thank you I will check and repair the hose for leaks. Now, I am not really sure about the wiring. How can I repair that? The plug does not seem to be toasted. I dont know what you mean about a jumper wire. Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
It looks like some of the wiring at the plug is burnt.  Disconnect the plug and look at the terminals.  If they are clean and shiny you can just fix the leak and you should be okay.  If the terminals are brown or burnt you'll have to replace the wires.  Only replace the burnt ones.  Cut the burnt wire off at each side of the plug.  Strip off 1/4 inch of insulation from the ends of the cut wire.  Cut a length of new wire and strip off 1/4 inch of insulation off each end.  Using orange wire nuts connect your new wire to the original wires, bypassing the plug.

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
The crackling sound is deal to arcing between contact.  Form the first photo, I do not see any burnt wires for the first two rows of wires on the connector.  Is there any burnt wire a the back of the connector?

Please repair the hose first. Clean the connector and wires.  Make sure the wires and connectors are dry before plugging it back. 

Offline car4jay

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
THANKS GUYS.... There was a small cut in one of the hoses and fixed it. The blue and brown wire from the first pic was burnt at the plug so I fixed them just how Tgoods said. Bypassed the plug and patch them together with wire twist nuts. The refri is working beautifully now and the best part is that I only spent 5 bucks...  ;D O0 THANK YOU.

Electrical burning smell coming from my fridge

Started by regnursepm99

Replies: 14
Views: 31712
Last post December 01, 2010, 04:31:05 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore freezer door left open - burning motor smell - 253.21041100

Started by Tootie

Replies: 9
Views: 2709
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:08:14 AM
by Bailey
Burning smell from refrigerator. Need help!

Started by Sugarfly

Replies: 6
Views: 1734
Last post September 22, 2013, 06:47:05 PM
by Sugarfly
Maytag Electrical Schematic

Started by Dale Works

Replies: 5
Views: 10661
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:01:48 PM
by JWWebster
Hotpoint electrical - Short?