Hello all, I have been having this recurring problem since purchasing this unit, LP120HED-Y8
. It was purchased for my sunroom and we opted to install the factory wireless remote thermostat. It was installed in summer and all was well. Come the first cold snap, it started acting strange.
1. Heat pump would engage, unit would start normally and begin putting out heat.
2. about 45 seconds later, it would shut down.
3. A minute or two later the compressor would start, and seemed to be running in the cooling mode.
4. after running this way for a few minutes, the compressor would stop, and the outside fan would turn on.
5. after a few minutes of this, the compressor would re-start, and start heating.
It appears to be going into the defrost mode if the outdoor temp is below about 50 degrees. Oddly, it only does this when the remote thermostat is connected. If the unit is controlled via the built in, onboard controls, it works fine.
We didn't like the wireless thermostat so we ran a t-stat wire and connected a standard, digital setback thermostat. Got the same issue so it's not the LG thermostat.
I contacted LG, and the main tech at that time figured it was a defective machine. They sent me a brand new one. Guess what? It does the same thing.
What bothers me the most about this is the terrible amount of energy it wastes. When the stat calls for second stage heating, it runs the heat strips which that part works fine. If I have two of these that do this, I am sure others have. What on earth could be the fix? Seems like a firmware issue to me.
Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.