Author Topic: Whirlpool SAWS800HQ0 will AGITATE but won't SPIN  (Read 14545 times)

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
Whirlpool SAWS800HQ0 will AGITATE but won't SPIN
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:44:14 AM »
My washer is on the fritz. . .. .   Tonight it sort of sounded like it was out of balance (though a bit different).  When I opened the lid. . . the spin cycle initially seemed fine though a horrible clanking noise and it was not out of balance after all.  I tested the agitation and it works as normal with no noise.  As I tested multiple times the spin cycle got worse and now hardly moves at all. . . . .  It got worse real fast.  I searched the forum but need a bit of help to no where to begin.  Looks like it could be the coupling? transmission?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have already removed the case and am ready to dig in.

Model Number: SAWS800HQ0 icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool SAWS800HQ0 will AGITATE but won't SPIN
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:16 AM »
It's 3:30 AM, and you're ready to dig in?  Heck, I wish I had your energy at that hour...my girlfriend complains enough as it is :)

Your drive coupling is likely bad. See the helpful video here.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
Thanks. . . . for the quick response.  Well it was not quite 3:30 AM on the left coast. . . . just 12:30 AM.  Nevertheless. . . . .  I was not really excited to be up working on it. . . .  but if I don't hurry up and get it fixed, my wife will be hollering for a new one.

I'll dig back into it after work this evening.  Quick question though. . . .  Can it be that the drive coupling is bad but allows the agitate function to work without flaw? It is only the spin cycle that has the problem.

Thanks

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Well. . . . I got it apart and I was dissapointed to find that it looks like the drive coupler is in decent to good shape as shown in the below two pictures.  I don't see a 'smoking gun.'  Please let me know your thoughts.

The brake looks ok but seems to be creating a bunch of brake dust as evidenced on the last two pictures of the clutch.

The clutch is intact. The pads seemed to be worn. . . . the last picture shows the rivet holding the pad almost flush with the top of the pad.  There seems to be a significant amount of rust colored dust from the brake.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:17:56 PM by a.beam.reach »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:13 PM »
Why did ya remove the tranny to replace the coupler? Give us a quick GOOD pic of that EAR on the snap drive anyway sheesh
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
Why did ya remove the tranny to replace the coupler? Give us a quick GOOD pic of that EAR on the snap drive anyway sheesh

I did not remove the tranny to replace the coupler!  In fact, I did not replace the coupler at all as it appears to be in good shape.  I removed the tranny to further investigate since it 'appeared' to this 'non technician' that the coupler was not my problem.  I am not sure what the EAR on the snap drive is but I will try to figure it out and attach a picture.

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »

Alright. . . .  I searched the forum and I still have no idea what the snap drive is.  Please help describe this and I will attach a good picture.

Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »
 this thang needs to have a good ear on it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:04:21 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »
If that is ok you gonna need that spin pawl
The plastic part is located under the main drive gear inside the tranny and is an easy fix. To get to it you must remove the clutch from the tranny,and all the 5/16th screws. remove the cover and the main gear will be exposed. I keep it level to stop oil from going everywhere. I remove the snap ring that retains the main drive gear and I gently remove the main gear. The small plastic pawl will be underneith it, If it looks all smashed down then this is why the tranny will not spin. they put these on later model washers to ease the strain on the motor. earlier models would pump and spin at the same time. Newer models will pump out first and then halt for a minute. Then restart and the pawl catches and makes the dang thang spin. dang beer on the keyboard thang. sowwy. :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:15:41 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
a spin pawl pic
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 02:24:21 AM »
OK. . . . . looks like the EAR on the snap drive is good.

Now. . . . I'll dig into the tranny.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:26:41 AM by a.beam.reach »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »
that thing looks broken to me. I am holding one in my hand right now, the tip end of that ear looks chipped,man I think that is your problem. give me your address(using email) and I will mail you this one. It is used but it is ok. You can have it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:17:34 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
Wow. . . I appreciate your generous offer but I think maybe mine looked broken from my BAD pictures.  I don't have one to compare to but there does not look like anything is broken.  I have attached 3 more pictures for confirmation.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
Now from that angle the part looks ok.
better start in on the tranny. I have one by the way out by the shop in a bucket. My buddy took a crow bar to it and knocked a hold in the cover. I told him he had to remove the agitator. LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline a.beam.reach

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »
Well. . . ..    I found my problem or at least "a" problem.  One fourth of the teeth on the main gear are sheared off.  Now my question / concern is should I believe that this a symptom rather than the problem.  What caused the failure?  Or does the part just fail over time from normal (albeit somewhat heavy use / family of 5 with 3 young kids) use?

What is my best bet?  Can I just replace the main gear?  If I do. . .   I obviously need to dump the oil and all the particles and clean it out.  What kind of oil do I use to replace it?  The washer is about 7 years old with the use described above.  I would like to fix this one if I can but do I need to just get a new washer?

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 25132
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer - No Agitate or Spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1863
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:58:27 PM
by AJ