Author Topic: Dispensor flap stays open allowing frost  (Read 1935 times)

Offline texasfiremn

• VIP Member
Dispensor flap stays open allowing frost
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:30:49 AM »
I can't get the flap to shut, it stays open just enough to let the humid air in and ice builds up causing chaos.  I have resorted to covering the inside of the door with plastic wrap to keep the moisture out but now I have no ice dispenser.

What parts will I need and how exactly do I get it off? HAHA yeah, I know, probably asking a lot here.

Model PSC23NGNA

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Dispensor flap stays open allowing frost
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
Your model might have a couple of more letters after the ones you listed to the right.If there is please list them,as for the ice door the plastic trim around the outside ice door on the door needs to be removed.Then you can see what is broken.Not hard to fix.Make sure there are no screws in the front housing of the door,put masking tape along the bottom of the door and trim,so not to scratch the door,start on one of the bottom corners and pry the trim out.A thin putty knife works good.You should be able to get all the parts here.If you don't see your model,call in and they will help you with what you need.

Offline texasfiremn

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
WW is the last part, I thought that was just regarding the color.

At any rate, I will attempt this over the weekend.   Hopefully this will be as easy as possible as I'm also doing some work on my washing machine!  >:(

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »
There are two things that will typically cause this the solenoid will rust up and the flap will curl up on the edges.

The solenoid doesnít rust up often on your model (some other models were bad about this) but I still see it every now and then on any model. When the solenoid rusts up the plunger on the solenoid canít retract therefore the flap will not close.

What will more commonly happen is the flap will curl up on the edges. When this happens the flap will hang when it closes leaving a small crack. This small crack is enough to make the chute freeze completely up.

To access the flap you will have to prize the dispenser controls off. Insert a screwdriver at the bottom of the controls and gently prize out on the control. Often I donít even use a screwdriver I just pull it off. Point being you donít prize hard it should come right off. Once the control is off disconnect the wires then remove the housing behind the control. Once the housing is off you should see the solenoid and the flap.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

KitchenAid 48" built in Ice despenser flap not closing properly allowing air in

Started by cindid

Replies: 3
Views: 1810
Last post August 13, 2011, 10:36:40 PM
by niobrara
GE side by side refridge/frost free

Started by inot66

Replies: 9
Views: 6127