Author Topic: Neptune stops intermittently  (Read 3109 times)

Offline mbfroof

• VIP Member
Neptune stops intermittently
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Maytag Neptune front loader MAH400AWW approx. 10 yrs. old. Was under warranty for the first 8 yrs. now its our headache. Had an issue last August 2010,the machine wasn't pumping out, changed out with new pump and corrected the problem. I also changed out he wax motor last year. Later in the year around Dec. 2010 the machine became very load during the spin cycle and would also stop at various times. Well after I  researched this issue I found that the noise was most likely the bearings in the outer tub. I decided to attempt this repair my self and save hundreds of dollars. The bearings and seal kit was $76.00 Ebay and the outer tub from various vendors was over $450.00. Shame on Maytag this design is primitive at best why change entire tub when only the bearings have failed? The repair took me about 6 hrs over two evenings, I could do it in 1/2 the time if I were to have to do it again. After this repair was complete the washer worked great for the first day. The machine was as quiet as a new one but the machine began to stop again. There is no real pattern for the stopping, you have to restart the machine upwards of 10 to 12 time to get it to complete the cycle. Now today the wife has used the machine with no problem. This is crazy the symptoms seem to come and go with no consistent pattern. Wife says seems like the is not enough power to turn the drum because of the constant humming/buzzing noise the machine makes. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Is there a common problem that may be causing the machine to turn off? Wife says after wrestling with the machine turning on over and over you tend to get it running then it will run for the rest of the day, then fight with it again the next day.  

Offline mbfroof

• VIP Member
Re: Neptune stops intermittently
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
One last note regarding the Neptune front loader washing machine. When the machine sits it will fills with water. I figure the water valve needs replaced. Could a faulty water valve cause this type of behavior?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
If you left it unplugged and it fills yes.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mbfroof

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
I will unplug the machine this evening and see if the machine fills with water. Thanks for your input on the matter.

Offline mbfroof

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »
We left the machine unplugged last night and the tub filled with water. I will order the new valve and hope this takes care of the current problem. Thank You!

Offline mbfroof

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
I replaced the water valve on the Neptune front loader and done a complete inspection of the electrical connections inside the washer cabinet. The machine has worked very well the last 3 days, so with any luck the problem has been resolved. What I did notice on the old water valve the electrical connection on the right side of the valve only had one of the two connectors connected to the terminal on the valve. I completed the connection of both connecters with the new install. I hope this was the correct way for the install.

Neptune Washer stops after filling

Started by SM921

Replies: 0
Views: 958
Last post August 19, 2009, 01:09:22 PM
by SM921
Maytag Neptune mah4000 fills then stops

Started by nimu23

Replies: 16
Views: 2283
Last post November 06, 2012, 09:25:37 AM
by nimu23