Author Topic: Top Load Whirlpool Washer Starts, Stops, then Restarts Many Times Through Cycle  (Read 4820 times)

Offline kabbott

• VIP Member
When I start the washer it starts to go through the agitation cycle (the agitator works fine) for a short time, then stops and then will restart again and go through the same sequence of stopping and starting for the entire wash.  It does make a buzzing noise when it is running, but the noise stops when the washer stops.

I thought it might be the lid switch, so I took it off and manually switched the switch myself and it didn't help.  However, I did notice the wires were a bit warm when I was hooking the switch back up to the wiring harness.  Now, since I removed the lid switch, it will just sit there and buzz now and not do whatever it should be doing in that part of the cycle.  The buzzing sound is coming from the back of the knob where you set the cycle.  Don't know if there might be a short or something in the knob.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model LSL9345EZ1

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
You may have something in the pump. Lots of times small articles of clothing get tangled in there.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
The starting and stopping is normal in the Delicate/Permanent Press cycle.
Regular wash has no pauses.Make sure the timer indicator portion of the control knob is not stripped out and on the wrong cycle.
Otherwise you may have a timer issue.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
Sounds like a timer issue to me.

Offline kabbott

• VIP Member
Thanks for the advice!  I took the pump off and checked it and there was nothing blocking it.  I also removed the hoses and cleaned them out to make sure there was nothing in the hoses.  Everything checked out okay.  Looks like it is probably the timer.  Unfortunately, the timer is $113!  So, I need to decide if I want to spend $113 on a 13 year old washing machine and not just invest that money in a new one.  Over the last year, I've replaced the coupling and the pump.  The washing machine gets a tough workout with our family since we have 5 kids...

Kevin

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Take timer out and check the pug for corrosion. Make sure it is tight into timer. To remove the timer you have to get the knob off first. Pull out the shaft behind the timer and the knob will come off. Then you yank the escutcheon off (that's the dial indicator). Then you can get the timer off and do them checks. Click pic to enlarge
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:10:32 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
If this washer is in otherwise good condition,replace the timer.
This is a good washer.
Take a Kid fishing.

Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 3302
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
My washer- Whirlpool- stops in mid cycle

Started by tcape

Replies: 3
Views: 4075
Last post July 21, 2010, 07:38:19 PM
by jumptrout51
Whirlpool Duet Front-load washer Banging during spin Cycle!

Started by tajmahodge

Replies: 9
Views: 1327
Last post June 08, 2013, 07:42:52 PM
by tajmahodge
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4675
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Won't Complete Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2099
Last post March 26, 2008, 12:26:47 PM
by TechnicianBrian
whirlpool washer stops after it agitates.....

Started by spaceannie54

Replies: 6
Views: 2040
Last post July 13, 2008, 09:00:38 PM
by whirlpooltech