Author Topic: Maytag washer- RINSE/SPIN CYCLE FAILURE  (Read 4906 times)

Offline bizrapspin

• VIP Member
Maytag washer- RINSE/SPIN CYCLE FAILURE
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:55 AM »
This washer began this issue with an erratic spin/rinse cycle. The belts would start to smoke, and so were replaced without any change. The pulley would get stiff in spin mode for a few turns and then free up. The brake was replaced, with no resolution.

When the basket was removed to see if there was any binding with how the spindle could turn in the basin, there was no problems. I cleaned the interior of the basin, grabbed the spindle shaft to see if there was any play. The basin nut however was not very tight when I removed it. There has not been any off-balance issues, or noises associated with possible worn out bearings.

The last time I tested the machine in the spin/rinse cycle it worked fine, without clothes. However, with a small load the belts would start to smoke, and the motor is now beginning to make a bearing screeching sound.  An electric motor repair shop told me that the bearings could be oiled and possibly saved. Unfortunately, there was no cap that could be removed to access the bearings and my effort at spraying machine oil from what I could see of the race, didn't help. Now I have a bad motor? although works fine in agitating mode.

After last failure, I retried with front of cabinet removed. When the pulley seemed to freeze up, I "quickly" grabbed it to free it up and the spin cycle began. :o

I am afraid that the transmission might be bad. However, I am hoping that there might be something I missed. Please, please help!!

Model LAT9200BAE

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Maytag washer- RINSE/SPIN CYCLE FAILURE
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
Your transmission is safe.  On this machine, the Trans, in spin cycle does nothing more then act as a link between the motor an tub.  No Mechanical parts are actually moving inside of the trans.  What you have is a bad tub bearing.  do you see a oily spray around the interior of the cabinet roughly around the height of the bottom of the outer tub?

To solve the problem fully, you will need to change the tub bearing part # 211130

and also the tub seal, part # 6-2095720

You will also need maytags spanner wrench, part # 22038313

If you decide to go ahead with the repair, I have a few tips to make the process go smooth. I have done 100's of these, if not thousands. O0
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline bizrapspin

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
  I hope that is right. I was told by another technician, that unless the machine goes into off-balance, or makes a loud noise when it is spinning that the bearing is good. He claims that there is a pin, sticking in the transmission to make it not move while  going into spin mode?

Could this be the early stages of the shaft bearing going bad? and makes the characteristic noises and off-balancing?

Offline bizrapspin

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
Oh, any thoughts as well about my poor motor :'(   Is it toast?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Pull the belts off and run it without tension, if it runs, then its good.  As to the repair on your machine, Again, Its not the transmission, It is the tub bearing. The transmission, or tub bearing for that matter, will not cause a off balance condition.  Damper pads, a weak base, stretched springs, and improper loading will cause off balance loads.  Regardless of the pin in the transmission, if that wasn't working, the motor would be turning the bottom of the trans, but the top wouldn't move, not causing a over worked motor.  This machine is the King of washers, and depending on the condition, It should be worth repairting.

Here is how the tub bearing is affecting your washer.

The friction between the sleeves of the tub bearing around the transmission is causing  the motor to overwork to turn 40 gallons of water plus clothes.  If you remove the water and clothes, most likely the machine will run fine.  The reason you have to change the tub seal as well is because most likely water has migrated past the seal, causing the friction at the point between the outer tub, and the transmission(tub bearing)

Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »
I totally agree with schaffersappliance diagnosis . Bang on . I too have done hundreds of these repairs and my life would be a lot easier if people didn't scrap these machines to buy the junk of today ! They were GREAT machines .

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
I wish Whirlpool hadn't shut them down. ALL my appliances are MAYTAG. Dishwasher,washer dryer,garbage disposer (nail eater)and refrigerator. The old Maytag. The only exception my range is a 1938 O'Keefe & Merrit.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
Ryan that was an awesome video. Have you made one for the single belt Maytag washer?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Bradc00

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Thanks I got the seal fixed thanks to this post  O0

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »
JWWebster,

I regret to say that I havenít done it enough on the single belt machine to do a video on it. I have only done it two or three (I know less than five), which doesnít make me an expert by no means. I have done the other job at least 200 times being as I service a few laundry mats that are full of these machines.

See the company I work for stopped selling the Maytag washer when they went to the single belt machine. As a result no one in our area sold any Maytag washers until Lowes came to town. So that left like a five-year gap that only people that went out of town to shop had Maytag (in my area) so I didnít even work on them but every so often.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 2231
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle

Started by PB3

Replies: 13
Views: 10527
Last post March 28, 2008, 09:18:30 AM
by PB3
Maytag LA8650 Washer - Grinding/Scraping/Rattle Noise During Spin Cycle

Started by Carol2

Replies: 17
Views: 8651
Last post April 02, 2009, 05:40:54 PM
by Carol2
maytag washer rubbing sound during spin cycle

Started by rasputins fingerbone

Replies: 4
Views: 3290
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:38:41 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Maytag washer sounds like a plane taking off during spin cycle.

Started by justinc25

Replies: 6
Views: 3718
Last post April 05, 2009, 09:44:04 AM
by justinc25
maytag Atlantis washer timer switch doesn't activate spin cycle

Started by helpme805

Replies: 6
Views: 6707
Last post July 30, 2011, 08:35:12 PM
by AJ