365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Hit a deer last week  (Read 42 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Hit a deer last week
« on: March 17, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »
I guess living in the hill country of Texas has its ups and downs , no pun intended. It's definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived and is abundant with wildlife. The whitetail deer are prevalent here, congregating in back yards and crossing the roads in front of cars. Most of us locals are keenly aware of this, and tend to keep one foot poised over the brake pedal as we drive the roads. Yet there are the odds of 1 in 5 that every resident will have a close encounter with these animals at one point or the other. Mine came last week as I turned out of my neighborhood. I was only going about 45 mph when a doe darted from my left peripheral across in front of me. There was only time to brake to about 10 when I hit her with the front of the van, and she flipped head over heels to the right side of the road. I was amazed that she got right up and ran off.

I got out of my new GMC van to survey the grille. Sure enough, the plastic grille around the left headlamp was cracked, and there was a large tuft of deer fur stuck in the crack. The only other damage was some minor puckering of the drivers seat.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Hit a deer last week
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
That's to bad. This the first deer you ever hit then?
I have been lucky and never hit one yet. Have come very close many times.

Been riding with others when we hit a deer and seen others in front of us hit deer.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »
I've had lots of hits before, but only in my Chevy pickup, not the service van.  My other truck has a Trail Boss on the front bumper, which is a huge steel cage essentially. I've hit deer going 60 mph and see them disappear under the truck and barely make a sound. Forgot to put one on the van, although this may be the encouragement I needed.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:36:06 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »
I haven't hit a deer yet but a big turkey came flyiong right out in front of me and I missed him, I was thinking wow that would have been a disaster if I woulda hit that big guy, and then BOOM another turkey few out of the same hole ruined my dang grill on the van. Now my friends accused me of hunting turkey out of season with a Dodge van.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
 :2funny:

Flavor of the Week

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 2
Views: 40