Author Topic: Kenmore Series 70 Gas Dryer  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Melludee

• VIP Member
Kenmore Series 70 Gas Dryer
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
Hello
I am still having problems with my Gas Dryer won't heat up I have replaced the ignitor kit on the dryer and I am wondering what else it could be maybe the flame sensor or could be the thermal fuse I have no idea. Really don't want to buy a new one plus I want to fix it myself ignitor was simple

Model 110.72702102

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Series 70 Gas Dryer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
Will it heat at all?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Melludee

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Still having issues with this dryer I have replaced the ignitor kit and the coil valve and still no heat could it be the flame sensor ??? by the time I get it to work it will be rebuilt. what do I need to do now

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
For it all to work right you gotta have continuity on the limit and the control. AND the control must be cool. When it is cool it powers up the gas assembly. All of the items inside the gas assembly are powered at the same time. Those coils, the ignitor, and the flame sensor. The ignitor gets its power from the flame sensor and those coils. When it is stone cold it has a resistance value that will not allow the operating coils to work. In order for power to make them coils work the resistance in the ignitor must change. How does it do it? IF the ignitor is good AND the flame sensor is good, then power will start to heat the ignitor up to 1800f.
At that point the resistance in the ignitor has changed. The flame sensor bi-metal bends and kills power to the ignitor. With no flame detector and no ignitor in the circuit AND the resistance changed in the circuit, the coils now have enough energy to yank open the gas gates. The raw gas spews out on to the flaming hot ignitor and KaWhoosh Houston we have ignition! The gas remains on till the control gets hot enough (160f for cotton) in the drum then power is killed to the gas assembly. The drum turns round and round, the heated air moves across the damp clothes as they tumble away. If their are no air restrictions AND the control and thermal fuse is ok then when the drum cools down to around 105f the control kicks back in and tosses energy once again towards the Gas assembly. This cycle goes on all throughout the drying process.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:58:40 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
 Did you replace the gas valve or the the gas valve coils? Did you change both of the coils?

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
Does the Drum run ?

Does the Ignitor glow at all ?

How's the Thermal Cutoff ?

How's the Thermal Fuse ?

After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Melludee

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
The drum runs, not sure where the thermal fuse is, im going to take it apart again to see if the ignitor glows. :o

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Melludee

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:15:14 AM »
I am soo happy it took a while but I fixed it myself with your help it wasn't the themal fuse kit but it was a thermal fuse by the lint duct a 17 dollar fix Thank so much for your help ;D :) part #3392519 my dryer finally has heat again it even drys alot faster new ignitor kit and coil valve to it is like have a new dryer again Thanks again you helped me do it myself.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
Make sure that duct/vent is clear and the filter housing is clear of air restrictions or that fuse will continue to blow because of overheating.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore 70 series Elecric Dryer...cuts off

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 12
Views: 4897
Last post February 20, 2008, 12:07:10 PM
by AJ
Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 34372
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM