Author Topic: GE Profile Induction Cooktop - Touch Controls Inoperative  (Read 4430 times)

Offline dgbaker

• VIP Member
GE Profile Induction Cooktop - Touch Controls Inoperative
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
My wife was cooking on our GE Profile electronic induction cooktop model PHP900SM1SS. She was using 3 or 4 of the burners and needed a place to set down a pot lid. She set it down over the touch controls. All of the lights on the cooktop immediately began flashing. I removed the lid and touched one of the controls to stop the lights from flashing. Not sure if the steam from the bottom of the lid or the lid touching multiple controls at the same time caused the problem. Now the only light on is the control lock and the cooktop is not functional. Tried touching the control lock for 5 seconds as described in the owner's manual but that didn't solve the problem. Also turned off circuit breaker hoping that I could "reset" the cooktop. Checked the voltage supplied and I have two 120 volt wires and the neutral wire properly connected

I took the cook top apart and I think the problem is with the touch pad (circuit board) but the part is $300. I would rather have a manual so that I can really troubleshoot instead of guessing or have someone confirm that the problem is the touch pad. Can't find anything wrong with the touch pad (no smoked componenets on the circuit board) and the wires leading to the other components from the touch pad circuit board are thin low voltage wires so I don't think that enough voltage could have gone through them to damage anything else.

Anyway, I am looking for some sort of confirmation to my diagnosis before I spend $300. I can't belief the GE wouldn't put a warning in the owner's manual that placing metal objects on the touch pad can cause severe damage. The only warning regarding the controls is that metal objects can cause inadvertant activation but it doesn't mention damage.

Model PHP900SM1SS

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: GE Profile Induction Cooktop - Touch Controls Inoperative
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
 My Hopes and prayers are with you as you try to find this GE service manual. If you succeed please share it. Isn't there a tech sheet somewhere in the cooktop?

Offline dgbaker

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Found the tech sheet.  Wasn't expecting anything but the basic wiring diagram (like in the old days).  To my surprise the tech sheet included instructions on how to access/read error codes, the probable cause and corrective action.  Guess I will be replacing the touch board.  That was an expensive lesson ($300).  Wish GE had been more forthcoming in providing an adequate warning in the owner's manual. 

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »
Guess I will be replacing the touch board.

What board would that be?

I was looking at the parts diagram to see what you had and it looks like a few different boards in there.

Trying to learn something as I never worked on one of these cooktops myself.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
Whirlpooltech I believe dgbaker is talking about the touch pad/ control board part # WB27X10999 and it would be number 10 on the diagram.
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline dgbaker

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
That is correct, it is part # WB27X10999  The cooktop is easy to take apart.  Not many parts to it.  Mostly circuit boards (total of four), a fan and three heating elements.

KAC-47 KitchenAid Touch Activated Electronic Induction Cooktop Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1737
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:39:09 PM
by AJ
Jenn-Air Cooktop Right Front Element Inoperative

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1619
Last post November 20, 2008, 07:29:05 AM
by TechnicianBrian
cce3451w induction cooktop slow to heat