Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: GE washer, transmission fluid  (Read 6657 times)

Offline LAB

• VIP Member
GE washer, transmission fluid
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »
What weght or type of fluid is required. We don't have a leak but the poor thing is always being used (7 people's clothes), and we have destroyed 1 new one and 2 used ones, now we are on the third used transmission. Seems to be holding for now but I would like to maintain it for as long as possible. My wife likes to fill it right to the top and I've said this is a strain on the transmission with all that extra weight. Is that statement correct?

Model MLC275CW0

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE washer, transmission fluid
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
To answer your question, the transmission is filled with a 60-wt non-detergent oil.

To address the theory that servicing the transmission to avoid problem later is ludicrous. It is not the oil which fails, but the internal gears and bearings.

(No one burns out that many transmissions without some sort of abuse factor figured in. )Besides, damage to the clutch & drive block is more likely that outright transmission failure. Regardless of the number of persons using the machine, if it is not overloaded, this kind of damage would take years to occur.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:24:32 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »
I looked up the model number and had no luck.
I do know those new GE washers did have a recall on them lawn mower transmissions.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline pogoattaq

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
Howdy Repair-man,
      Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just wanted to check which transmission the 60w non-detergent oil is for.  I could not find the OP's MLC275CW0 machine in a search to see what kind of transmission it has.  I have a GE WPSE4200A0WW top loader washer with I believe, a WH38X10002 transmission.  Do you know what oil this transmission takes?  It all spilled out of mine through a bad top oil seal, while I took it out to replace the water logged bearing at the bottom of the transmission.  Do you happen to know when I can find a replacement oil seal for the one where the shaft to agitate comes out of the transmission?  Do you know if there is an oil seal at the bottom of the transmission?  Thanks so much to you, or anyone else who can help me out!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
I have seen lower viscosity oils used, but it runs fine on a synthetic (Mobil 1, etc) Go with at least a 40-wt variety. As longe as the tub seal is replaced (bearing, too), then this is the only entry point for water. Once water penetrates the seal, it displaces the oil inside the gearcase. Be sure to remove all contaminated oil even if you have to open the gearcase. Form-a-gasket in blue works when you reassemble the halves.

Offline pogoattaq

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
Howdy again Repair-man,
Is the non-detergent you specified in your earlier post important?  There doesn't seem to be any ND in the autoparts stores around me, and it is slimmer picking online as well.
Also should it be motor oil or gear oil?  I did a little reading up that the viscosity numbers of motor and gear oils don't line up.  I can find some SAE 50 synthetic motor oils, SAE 60 motorcycle oil.  The lowest viscosity gear oils I can find are 75w-90.
Thanks for the advice on the blue RTV.  I have some one hand, but will still try to avoid having to open the case!  I hate to open up a box of gear when I don't have a diagram to fall back on, but I understand that water in there is no good.  Thanks again!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
Let's not try and be picky when you are going the cheap route, instead of buying a new or rebuilt transmission. Synthetic oil is non-detergent, so go that route. Good luck.

Offline AppTek

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »
GE used to sell it under part# WH60X18. Check with a local small repair or parts shop. They may have some left. GE discontinued it.

Video: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Clutch, Brake Transmission - Gear Case

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 15363
Last post January 26, 2008, 08:15:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Lets Look Inside The Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Gear Case/Transmission

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 8907
Last post June 18, 2016, 11:28:08 PM
by MajorApp
Sears washer transmission won't engage into posts

Started by bpmp

Replies: 3
Views: 2514
Last post July 04, 2008, 05:58:45 PM
by Repair-man
Washer won't spin. removed belt, very hard to spin manually. Bad Transmission?

Started by electric

Replies: 7
Views: 5877
Last post September 12, 2008, 09:01:29 PM
by Repair-man
how to take out the transmission on maytag dependable care washer

Started by lex

Replies: 1
Views: 5913
Last post December 09, 2008, 03:05:18 PM
by AJ
Inglis Washer won't spin, agitate or drain - faulty transmission