Author Topic: DVG62-50T42-NV Pilot Light Problem  (Read 2765 times)

Offline poppatock

• VIP Member
DVG62-50T42-NV Pilot Light Problem
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
 ???
I got a 50 gal, Natural Gas Water Heater, 9 1/2 years old.
Yesterday afternoon, my better half pointed out that we had no hot water.  After  litttle internet surfing, I learned that the Thermocoupler needed to be replaced.  I replaced it and after several tries got the burning cooking.  Hot showers for all!
About an hour ago, no hot water, pilot light was out again.  Got it and the burner re-lit with no problem.  Any ideas on what the issue might be now???
Not ready to replace the unit.  My stimulus check hasn't arrived.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Pilot Light Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
Sounds like the pilot may be "dirty" the flame should be nice and blue and strong towards the thermocouple. Take a screwdriver and GENTLY tap the plot line when it is lit,it will get bright orange/yellow and back to blue. That is the most common problem. Make sure the thermocouple tip ( 1/4")is in the flame.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Pilot Light Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
Another thing to do is use a pencil eraser to clean out the hole where the thermocouple goes to remove any corrosion. The tip of the thermocouple should be washed in the pilot flame for optimum effect. If the flame is hitting the middle of the thermocouple a cold spot might make the new boy ineffective. Two opposing metals that are known to produce electricity when heated together need to have the correct flame to hold that magnet in. If that don't do it then you needs to replace the gas valve OR the water heater.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Bad light switch? Easy to replace?

Started by terry

Replies: 3
Views: 2888
Last post February 08, 2013, 04:21:53 PM
by SmArtE
Way to mark problem as solved??

Started by diyhopeful

Replies: 2
Views: 1113
Last post October 28, 2009, 03:40:31 PM