365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Siemens side-by-side leaking from freezer  (Read 66 times)

Offline ollihd

• VIP Member
Siemens side-by-side leaking from freezer
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
Hello all!

I have a 5 year old Siemens side-by-side fridge with an ice cube dispenser. A couple of weeks ago the fridge and freezer part started warming up. I did all the diagnostics and manually defrosted the whole thing, it worked. Fridge and freezer part both get cold as they should (measured).

Now the problem is that the freezer is forming ice in the bottom of the housing. This ice also seems to melt from time to time (one every 2 days). I suspect that it is because of the automatic de-frost function.

I have been trying to figure this out and have come to the conclusion that when the freezer starts the de-frost cycle it doesn't pre-cool the freezer. I have come to this conclusion because when going through the service manual i have found that if the freezer (when in diagnostic-mode) gives you the error code "F1", this means that the F-sensor is not working. F-sensor of course being the freezer-sensor. When checking the service manual the pre-cool phase of the de-frost cycle starts by checking the f-sensor.

This makes me believe that because the f-sensor is not working properly the pre-cool doesn't start and the freezer get's just a little bit too warm and because of that forms condensation, leaking the water to the bottom, freezing and then during the next cycle unfreezing the ice again -> resulting the water leaking out of the fridge.

I'm not a appliance professional so I would like to know if i'm on the right path? Should I try something else?

Any suggestions are warmly welcome!

Greetings from Finland (it's cold here, but not cold enough for fridges to work properly it seems :)

The control board that this unit uses is: FRU54AD001

Service manual attached.

P.S. The thing that bothers me the most about the error code is that manual says it should say "F1", my error code says "-F1" I have no idea why there is a "-" mark in the front of my code.

Offline andyf80

• Technician
Re: Siemens side-by-side leaking from freezer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
Hi Ollihd,
You're officially the first Finish person I've ever spoken with...so my perception of your entire nation rides on our exchange and one Monty Python song. Don't be nervous, just be yourself.

I agree that I certainly sounds like you're on the right track. If you have a failing sensor the freezer will not defrost completely and over a period of time builds up such that it can prevent the evaporator (i.e. Freezer fan) fan from spinning. The board itself can register that the fan is not spinning and will give the code.

A defrost issue can come from a bad board, a bad heating element, or bad thermostat / sensor. Usually I'd the heater is bad, you'd know it because the freezer would turn in to a huge iceberg. It's most likely a defrost sensor that is slightly out of spec and failing.

As for the water leak, It could be that the ice is blocking the defrost drain line and not allowing the water to drain to the pan under your fridge. The water has no place else to go except in the bottom of your freezer.
This can also be helped by hanging a small piece of solid copper wire from the defrost heater in to the drain line. This way each time the heater comes on it will help thaw any ice that may be in the drain line.
Also, behind the fridge - remove the back panel and remove/inspect the drain line to see if there is any blockage in the line itself. If it has a piece that looks like a rubber duck-Bill in the drain line I will usually cut a small hole in that to let water drain more effectively when I'm defrost.

Let me know if you have any questions!

GE side by side Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling.

Started by meamor

Replies: 1
Views: 7642
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
by JWWebster
Freezer side 0 degrees fridge side 60 degrees

Started by dirtrider180

Replies: 3
Views: 3939
Last post April 07, 2009, 04:28:46 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool fridge leaking in fridge side... Help Repair-man

Started by Calbo

Replies: 1
Views: 3694
Last post July 29, 2009, 08:12:20 PM
by jumptrout51
MSD2756DEB Maytag side by side-freezer cold,but fridge is at 50 degree's

Started by djbrun

Replies: 7
Views: 5412
Last post September 07, 2009, 11:15:58 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
GE side by side - Freezer stops working - Doesnt happen all of the time.

Started by bobrien74834

Replies: 2
Views: 2646
Last post March 26, 2011, 02:36:16 PM
by schaffersapplian
Freezer cold - Refridge warm - Side by Side with PICS!

Started by redspot321

Replies: 14
Views: 7333
Last post July 10, 2011, 06:20:35 PM
by redspot321