Author Topic: GE Profile Washer Top Load Noisy During the Wash Cycle  (Read 21869 times)

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
GE Profile Washer Top Load Noisy During the Wash Cycle
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
I have a 2 years old GE Profile Washer WPRE8350H1WT.  It is noisy during the wash cycle.  The noise is coming from the motor changing direction.  I have read the threads in this forum related to my problem. 

I think the mode shifter is no good because of the following conditions:
- 4 flashes on the motor inverter board
- open circuit on the mode shifter coil
- the inner tub is moving with the agitator

1.  The transmission and washer tub is covered by the 10 years warranty.  I think the mode shifter is the transmission.  Am I correct?

2.  How long is needed to change the mode shifter? The warranty is only cover parts after 1 year.  I like to estimate how much is the labor cost.  What is the labor cost?

3.  If I decided to change it myself, will GE give me the mode shifter.

4.  Is the inverter board on the motor at fault causing the mode shifter coil to fail? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Profile Washer Top Load Noisy During the Wash Cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »
The motor blinks on and off all the time. It blinks faster when running.
If it ain't acting right it will display flashes:

1 flash bad motor
2 flashes slipping belt
3 flashes corrupted software bad motor
4 flashes failed mode shift circuit
5 flashes bad motor
6 flashes locked motor check for objects between tub
7 flashes bad lid switch.
8 flashes motor overheated too much soap
9 flashes brake resister is toast bad motor.

Washer won't spin:
To Reset the Inverter board on the motor push the timer knob in so the washer is idle or if digital have the machine in the off position. Unplug the machine for one minute. Plug back in and raise and lower the lid six times within 12 seconds. This might take more than one time.

After resetting the inverter board, put the machine in a spin cycle and see if it runs. If not, check for a green blinking light on the inverter board. It will flash failure codes according to the info listed above. If no light you probably have a blown fuse built into the neutral side of the harness on the white/red wire.

The part you need is wh49X10041

Ryan had a comment recently in this forum:

I am going to give some estimated stats on what I have experienced over the past 3-4 years. Note that this is only out of warranty stats because if it is in warranty I replace the motor without hesitation.Also this may not reflect what other tech may be seeing.

I have seen about 50-60 motor related problems with these washers.

About a dozen or so fuses blown. Replacing the fuse put them back to work with no more problems. Note that the fuse is not going to be on the models being made now.

I have had to replace 3 motors because the fault wouldnít clear or it came back.

I had one fuse that blew as soon as I put it on and I believe the motor was bad but the customer opted out of the repair.

The rest I have cleared the code without any more problems.

On the early models there was a problem that when the customer opened the lid when the shifter coil was in the middle of shifting from wash to spin it would hang in shifting mode. This would cause the coil to have 135 VDC the whole time the lid was opened. During normal operation the135 VDC is only on the coils for the first 18 seconds when the washer is changing from wash to spin mode.

Naturally this would cause the shifter to fail. Then the motor will display the shifter failure code (4 flashes) and the washer will not wash properly.

The new motors will not do this. This is not something that the customer done wrong because it is supposed to be ok to open the lid at anytime.

As for the codesÖ

Over the years I have grown to hate self-diagnostics on appliances, which is what the codes are more or less. Too often when I go on a service call for any appliance that is giving a self-diagnostics code the board that is doing the diagnostics is what the problem is to start with.
(If this makes any sense).

I donít think the customer is doing anything wrong.

Overall I like the design of this machine but they got some kinks they need to work out. Should have been worked out before they went on the market.

For anyone else that may read this threadÖ

Donít just clear the code. See what the code stands for and check what ever the code says is bad. If it doesnít seem to be bad clear the code. If it seems to be bad, replace it then clear the code.

For example if it is the lid switch code check the lid switch and if the lid switch is ok clear the code. If the code comes back the motor is bad.

Shawn

GE Hydrowave Service Manual
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:23:27 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »
If the spin basket is turning when it should be agitating then the sifter coil is most likely. You can check for continuity across the two wires that come from the sifter. If it is open the sifter is bad. If not you are more than likely looking at a bad motor. But be warned on some early models the motor would cause the sifter to go bad so if you replace the sifter and the motor causes the sifter to fail again you will be in the same boat.

http://appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-repair.html

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/washer-repair.html

http://appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-disassembly.html
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
I measured the mode shifter coil resistance.  It is open.  Therefore, the coil is bad.

Do you know the washer manufacture date with the bad motor which kills the mode shifter coil?  According to the serial number, my washer was made on May 2008. 

From watching the GE Washer Disassembly Video, it may take two hours or more to replace the mode shifter assembly. Even the parts are covered by the warranty, I am looking to pay $200 - $300 for the labor.  This washer is getting expensive. 

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
I can replace it in 45 mins if all goes well 1 hour if something gives me trouble. So someone who has never done it before 2 hours may be about right.

I have been looking for the service bulletin on this for you but right now I can't put my hands on it. If I find it I can tell you more. 

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:24 AM »
I found the bulletin. There is a tag on the motor that has a part number. The tag will have a bar code and it will say use in auto clothes washer only. When you find that tag there will be a part number if the part number is one of these then you have the faulty motor. Some have a second tag on the top if the motor, which supercedes the part number on the other motor tag. So if you see two tags go by the one on top of the motor.

175d516g014
175d516g015
175d516g016
175d516g026
175d516g027
175d516g028
175d516g029
175d516g030
175d516g031

If the part number on the motor is one of those I donít recommend changing the sifter without the motor.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
In other words you don't recommend the shift mode coil be replaced without replacing the motor as well if his motor has any of them numbers you listed. Correct Ryan?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
Yes, that is what I am saying.

The motor had a program problem. What would happen is if the customer opened the lid within the few seconds that he motor was sending high voltage to the sifter coil (which happens when the coils is being pulled up) the high voltage would stay on the coil until the lid was closed again. Being that the high voltage was only supposed to be on the coil for a few seconds naturally if the door is left open for some time it will burn the coil.

You would think the chances of the lid being opened in that short time frame would be slim but that didnít turn out to be the case. Theoretically if you make sure you never open the lid while the washer is in use it would never happen but that is a gamble.

The newer motors are programmed so that this will not happen. 

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
Yes, that is what I am saying.

The motor had a program problem. What would happen is if the customer opened the lid within the few seconds that he motor was sending high voltage to the sifter coil (which happens when the coils is being pulled up) the high voltage would stay on the coil until the lid was closed again. Being that the high voltage was only supposed to be on the coil for a few seconds naturally if the door is left open for some time it will burn the coil.

You would think the chances of the lid being opened in that short time frame would be slim but that didnít turn out to be the case. Theoretically if you make sure you never open the lid while the washer is in use it would never happen but that is a gamble.

The newer motors are programmed so that this will not happen. 

This washer is at my mother's house.  This is exactly what she was doing for the last two years.  When she leaves the house, she will open the lid.  The lid will be open for hours at a time.  I suggested to buy a front load washer two years ago. But she wanted a top load because she likes to open the lid in mid cycle.

Thanks Ryan for digging up the motor service bulletin.  I will check the motor number later today.

I do not understand that why there is no recall on the inverter board or motor/inverter assembly.

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »
I have a 175d5106g030 motor.  Therefore, I need to change the motor too. 

Mode shifter WH38X10017

The new motor WH20X10052

GE authorized service company charges $79 to do diagnostic.  $96 per labor hour to do the work.  I estimate it will 2 hours to change the mode shafter and motor.  I am looking at $300 or more labor charge.  I can buy a new washer with $700!!!

The mode shifter is covered by the 10 years warranty.  The problem is the motor.  Will GE cover the motor because the motor kills the mode shifter?  If I have to pay for the motor and labor, I may as well buying a new washer.

Anyone knows of any class action against GE on this problem.  I found the service bulletin that Ryan mentioned.  It was issued on Jan 2009.  But there is no recall on this problem because there is no fire or injury involved with the problem.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
Install a new mode shifter and tell mom to leave that lid be.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

That is what I am thinking too.  Install the mode shifter myself.  We know the issue with the inverter, she just keeps the lid on while the washer is running.

I read a post from somewhere that there is a non-resettable fuse in-series with the mode shifter coil.  This fuse is inside the shifter.  If the coil is okay, I may buy the non-resettable fuse from Mouser for couple of dollars.  On second thought, I may add a fuse at the motor connector such that the external fuse will go first before the internal fuse go.  This way, I don't have to take the whole washer apart to change the mode shifter - just change the fuse.  But there is a chance that internal fuse may be a high temperature fuse to protect the coil from starting a fire. 

But I am writing to the GE Customer Relation to explain the situation that they issued the service bulletin on Jan 2009 which was within my first year warranty period.  Hoping GE will pickup the whole cost.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »
What ya could do is cut a hole in the side and install a foot pedal so she can manual shift that puppy on demand! LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
After contacting GE warranty related to the faulty motor inverter board killing the mode shifter as detailed in the Service Bulletin Jan 2009, GE agreed to replace the motor and the mode shifter.  Parts and labor will be covered by GE warranty even this washer is two years old without extended warranty.

The service technician appointment is next week.

I like to thank JWWebster and ryan111 for the help.  With ryan111 mentioned the GE Service Bulletin, I was able to download a copy of the service bulletin and sent it to the GE warranty to prove that GE knew about the motor inverter board problem back in Jan 2009 and choose not to recall the faulty motor.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
I am glad to hear they are going to take care of it for you. They should since it is a engineering problem but I am somewhat surprised that they did. Sometimes it depends on which rep. you get when you call. Knowing they had the problem didnít hurt. 

GE Front Load Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7014
Last post August 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Washer - Noisy During Drain Cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3837
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
by AJ
lint on clothes at end of wash. kenmore washer top load

Started by KMZK

Replies: 3
Views: 3514
Last post March 11, 2008, 10:59:49 PM
by BrntToast
Maytag top load Washer is still full of water at end of cycle