Author Topic: Hotpoint Dryer - no heat  (Read 8167 times)

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
Re: Hotpoint Dryer - no heat
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »
Here goes:

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
View from above:

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
From reading, I understand that there are two centrifugal switches on dryer motors. One is for starting, and after the motor starts, it disconnects the start circuit. The other switch is a safety feature which ensures that if the motor is not turning, the heat is off.

Is this the way this motor works?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
You gota couple of leaf switches inside the black box. The box itself has a metal tab sticking out that you can't see. When the motor takes off the springloaded flyweights get slung outwards and the tab gets released. The 2 leaf switches inside change contacts. One powers the heating element circuit so the motor must be running before the heater comes on. The other make the jump from start to light speed (run). In motors this age the fly weights will stick holding the heater element on till the timer is turned off. Lubricating the sliding flyweights on the shaft can sometimes fix the problem. I have one of those switches on a motor in my shop.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »
How do you get at them?

Also, can you see that metal tab you mention on the second picture of the motor (view from above), between the shaft and the switch case?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
You can remove those 2 screws on the switch and easily see the tab. You can also take a peek inside at them leaf switches. Be careful, they will fall out easily. Sometimes the points will stick together as a result of arcing and time. Use a fingernail file and smooth up the surface of the points after unsticking them and put it all back together.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
Thanks, I will have a go at it tonite or tomorrow. It looks like that will require taking the motor out.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
Let me know
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 02:24:17 AM »
Will do.

Any advice on detaching the motor shaft from the blower fan?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
That's not difficult on those. You simply remove a screw and she slides right off.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
I was able to fix the switch. Your diagnosis was correct, the leafs for the motor fail switch were stuck together and the contacts badly deformed. I was able to file them flat easily. (There's not much contact left, though). When I moved the spring device on the motor shaft back and forth by hand, they opened and closed according to the ohmmeter.

But  -  the machine screw (which holds a retaining metal device on the blower fan and shaft) had some kind of retaining nut which fell off when I removed the screw. It made a noise when it landed. I have been unable to get it out with a magnet. Tilting and shaking the dryer does not budge it (there is a lint coating in there on the fan and the blower body in spite of vacuuming).

So my next step is to remove the blower body. How hard is it to get it back in place and aligned properly with the motor shaft? Any advice on this step?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
Go ahead and remove that motor and blower housing and break it all down. Give the housing a good washout. Don't get the motor wet though.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
I removed the blower housing from the dryer, and washed out the lint, dried it off, and replaced it. I was also able to re-assemble the blower housing and put the fan back on the shaft.

However, the blower fan was hitting something at one location as it rotated. I adjusted the motor position slightly until the knock disappeared. But when I reinstalled the drum and belt, the noise returned. I removed the drum, tried more adjusting until the fan rotated quietly, put the the drum back, but the noise  was still there.

Couple of questions-

1) how much shaft should protrude beyond the fan retainer? Right now, it is about 1/8".

2) how much of the black plastic coupling ring on the fan side of the motor should fit into the retaining ring next to the blower? There is a shoulder on that black coupling ring, but it is nowhere snugged up to that retaining ring/clamp. There  is roughly 3/16" between the clamp ring and the shoulder.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Seems to me like their could have been some nylon washers between the fan blade and haft but I ain't sure. GE dryers hardly ever have blower problems like this.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I didn't see any nylon washers.

I remember thinking a spacer between the fan and housing would have been helpful.

The noise was not a problem before I removed the motor and fan. I think I just put it back misaligned, and need to find how to realign it.

Anyone else have answers to my questions/

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

GE Hotpoint dryer won't heat unless i use the minutes timer on the dial

Started by big t

Replies: 1
Views: 2027
Last post March 25, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
by Repair-man
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 7212
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 6133
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 14397
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3007
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

Started by goldstonemr

Replies: 33
Views: 11981
Last post April 27, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
by Penguin45