Author Topic: Hotpoint Dryer - no heat  (Read 8829 times)

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
Hotpoint Dryer - no heat
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
I have a Hotpoint dryer bought in 1987. The drum rotates fine, but there is no heat.

I have checked for continuity in the heater coils, and thermostats. They are all fine. The door switch works.

I tried to check the 'run switch'. I'm unsure of the right connections, but I removed the two biggest wires (black) from the switch block on the motor, and checked for continuity between the two lugs after turning the motor on. I got continuity, for both motor running, and motor off. (I think it is supposed to be no continuity if the motor is not turning.)

How can I be sure I have the right connections to check this switch? (There is no schematic for the machine anywhere on it).

If I did have the right connections, does the continuity being on for both motor running and not running mean the switch needs replacement?

Grant

Model DE750ET4191

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Hotpoint Dryer - no heat
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
Be sure that you have 240V at your dryer outlet.  If you only have 120v, that can cause it not to heat, but still run.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
I was sure the circuit breakers were fine. But when I checked, one leg was at 0v.Then I found the breaker which had tripped. I reset it and the heat was back. Thanks!

I spent a lot of time learning a lot about this dryer, but it was better than spending $120 for a technician to reset the breaker!

Thanks,

Grant

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
Them breakers get bad on the heat load side.I had one here at the shop that was giving me fits.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
I assume the breaker is ok because it only trips twice a year or so.

I had a new problem,  a grinding noise when the drum was turning. One of the glides and fallen out. That problem is fine, now that I replaced it snugly.

But - a new problem - did not have this problem before I took the machine apart - the heater does not go off if I stop the dryer in the middle of a cycle by opening the door.

Only thing I can think of is I might have reversed the two black wires to the motor run switch, could that cause the problem?

Thanks for your help to date,

Grant

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »
The heater was working fine when I was writing the last post. Then I went down to check it and there was no heat!

I will not have time to check the coils until tomorrow night. I guess if they are overheating that might help them burn out? When I checked last week, the resistance of one element was 22.5 ohms; the other was about 30 ohms.

This dryer has what look like a total of three stats. Two thermostats are piggy backed on each other, attached to the heater drum (see picture below). They  both showed continuity last week. I assume these are the safety stats. The only number I could see on the top stat was L240.

The third stat is mounted under the lint filter in the dryer door. It too showed continuity last week. I guess this is the operating stat?

Grant

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
That one pictured is a limit. The control tstats will be under the filter housing. Mostly their is more than one. L240 is way too high a temp for clothes drying. A cotton stat is 160f max and permapress is 140ish.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:50:27 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:13:31 AM »
I have never seen a picture of anything in online parts pictures which looks like that piggy-back limit thermostat in my picture. (None of the online parts websites recognize my dryer model number).

I will have to ask at a local parts place. What wold you suggest as a replacement part? This thing has worked fine for 27 years; only had the glides replaced once and as far as I know the thermostat in the picture is original.

Any other advice about what might cause the heater coils to stay on when the drum is not moving? I tried to check continuity for the run switch, as noted in a previous post, but got continuity no matter what.

Grant 

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:07:30 AM »
I have never seen a picture of anything in online parts pictures which looks like that piggy-back limit thermostat in my picture. (None of the online parts websites recognize my dryer model number).

What does it say on the back of the part? I can see something in the photo but can make out any of the number.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
The centrifugal switch on the motor is sticking in the closed position causing the heater to stay on in the off position.
It may also be responsible for the breaker tripping.

You already verified that with your motor switch continuity test.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »
As far as I can tell the numbers are:

64T11208115
16183334-P001
L240F C8723

Grant

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:50:22 AM »
Is there any place that sells the centrifugal switch by itself? I understand as a rule you have to buy a new motor with centrifugal switch. And I suspect the motor is not being manufactured any more.

Or, is it possible to repair the centrifugal switch? 

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:03:13 AM »
The centrifugal switch is on the motor shaft and is not a replaceable part.
You may be able to clean any lint and dust from around it then manually move it back and forth to free it up.
The motor is available.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline GrantFair

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »
Is the brown plastic device with a number of lugs attached to the motor not related to the run switch? If I understand your post the run switch is internal to the motor?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
Post a photo of your dryer motor switch
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

GE Hotpoint dryer won't heat unless i use the minutes timer on the dial

Started by big t

Replies: 1
Views: 2270
Last post March 25, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
by Repair-man
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 8060
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 6879
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 15676
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3551
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

Started by goldstonemr

Replies: 33
Views: 13282
Last post April 27, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
by Penguin45