Author Topic: GE Washer Squeaking during Agitation  (Read 7937 times)

Offline AD13

• VIP Member
GE Washer Squeaking during Agitation
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
I have a GE Hydrowave washer that is only a little over a year old. Previous to this it worked like a dream and I really loved it. It was SO quiet that we barely even noticed it was running.

Then a few days ago when I went to wash a load of laundry, I noticed it was making a squeaking/squealing sound during the wash/agitation cycle. It only makes this sound during that cycle. It almost sounds like metal squeaking against metal. It does not do it during the spin cycle or any other cycle. Even when it's not running, if I open the lid and move the basket around, it makes this squeaking sound. I did notice though that when I washed a couple small things on the gentle/delicates cycle, it did not make the squeaking sound.

I was looking around on the internet trying to find out if this is a common problem and ran across a website that said that such a squeaking sound could be the suspension rods and that they may need to either just be greased with a lithium grease or that all four rods may need to be replaced.
I'm not sure enough this is the problem though to go ahead with it.

We just bought this washer in June of 09 to replace a 4 year old Amana piece of junk that had the transmission go out. The price to fix the transmission even under the 10 year warranty would have been almost the same price I paid for the new one I have now. I'm really hoping this is something simple to fix that perhaps my husband can do himself considering just having an appliance guy come out and look at it will cost us a minimum of $50.

I really love this washer when it's working but I am SO disappointed that we're having problems with it after only a little over a year of use. I went with GE because we have had other GE appliances including a GE dryer that has been working like a charm for 11 years and have been pretty happy with them. I'm just hoping that this is an easy fix. If anyone can tell me what could possibly be causing this noise and how to fix it, I'd be very appreciative as we are a family of 5 and really don't have the money to be paying for expensive repairs or to buy another new washer AGAIN.

Thanks.

Model WHDRR418GWW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Washer Squeaking during Agitation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
Note: the motor is different (no tranny) but basically the washer breaks down like this older model:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AD13

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:24:31 AM »
Update:  I had the hubby take the front off today and we listened to it during a load of laundry and it is the apron sagging causing the motor to hit the bottom of the machine during the wash cycle which I've found from more research is a common problem with this model.  There's a repair kit they sell for around $50 but we're going to really push for GE to send it for free considering this is such a common issue that they actually sell a repair kit for it in the first place and this washer is only a few months over a year old.  I kind of feel after the info I've found that there should have been a recall on this model with GE making arrangements to fix the issue.  I'm just thankful though that it isn't a big expensive fix!   

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:57:43 AM »
Glad you got it figured out  O0

GE or any other manufacture will not recall any product unless there is a potential for personal injury.  Your head would spin if you saw how many revised parts or fix kits are out there for home appliances.  Good luck with GE, you may see them send ya the part  :)
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »
Part number for bracket kit is WH49X10065. WH49X10064 if it's a coin-op.  Did one just last week.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
They are not going to do an official recall on this but each time I have seen this they have sent the part free of charge even if the washer was out of warranty. I even got one lady a new washer free over this problem, but that was an extreme case.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Is the coin op kit a little heftier?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »
Is the coin op kit a little heftier?

No, the kit comes with a new top so the coin-op kit has a top you can bolt the meter box to.

ge washer no agitation

Started by JPG

Replies: 1
Views: 2367
Last post March 17, 2008, 07:58:44 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle

Started by PB3

Replies: 13
Views: 11025
Last post March 28, 2008, 09:18:30 AM
by PB3