Author Topic: Dishwasher slow leak  (Read 5530 times)

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
Dishwasher slow leak
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
I have a Whirpool Quiet Partner II Imperial, model number DUL200PKB1.  Pardon my poor description here as I am no expert on dishwashers by any means, but would like to fix this on my own if I can.  There is a slow leak coming from the dishwasher when it runs.  I took front bottom plate off and reattached all the hoses as well as a 6 inch or so long hard plastic tube that was screwed into the motor area and attached to either the drain or hot water.  It still leaked, so I screwed that plastic tube in again this time with plumbers tape, but again to no avail.  The leak occurs at what appears to be a specific time.  After i turn the dishwasher on I can hear water running into the dishwasher, then that turns off and it does a lurch.  Not physically moving, but its clearly changing into a different cycle at that point, maybe starting to wash?  Well at that point, I can feel water spray out underneath the dishwasher, for a split second and then it stops.  Then it will spray out water again at different times during the run.  It is not a large leak as I currently have a cookie sheet down there and a full run only makes a millimeter or so of standing water.  If anyone has any idea as to what might be leaking based on that description I'd appreciate any help.  I did find another link that talked about replacing the lower motor seal on a similar washer and I thought that looked doable.  I didnt have broken dishes, but the steps they did sound like the ones i tried as well.  

This is that other link: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=3021.0

Thanks!
Spence    

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Dishwasher slow leak
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:19:19 AM »
Tighten the pump cover screws.  If the pump cover seal has blown out, replace it.  Part number 302711

Offline mattlwil

• VIP Member
    • Appliance Repair Memphis TN
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
Check drain hose for a pin hole leak.

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
Tighten the pump cover screws.  If the pump cover seal has blown out, replace it.  Part number 302711

So far so good.  I tried tightening the star screws with a normal driver, but they were fairly tight so I switched to a ratchet and was able to get another half turn or so on each.  Ran it once and watched it close for 20 minutes or so.  At one point i did feel a very slight spray of water.  Let it finish.  Still dry.  Put it all back in place and ran it another full time and still dry.  So thats a huge improvement.  I still might need to replace the seal cause I did feel that one slight mist, but i dont see any water at all!  I must say kudos to whirlpool too this motor has a ton of gunk and water leavings on it and it still runs like a champ.  Thanks so much for the help as that definitely was the issue.  Going to monitor it for a week or 2 and put the front back in if its all dry or replace the seal if its not. 

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Well after a week of use its leaking a little more again, although not as much as originally.  I'm going to order and replace the seal ring.  I did have one question though.  I was going to orderthis bearing ring well since I thought it was broken, but I see the ring pictured as not completely closed.  Probably a dumb question since its pictured that way, but that is the way its supposed to be(not a closed circle)?   

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
Actually scratch that last question, I found more pictures showing the same thing.  I'll update you when I get the seal replaced.  Thanks again!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
Are you using liquid dish washing liquid? That would make it leak.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 12:35:06 AM »
You cant be serious?  I use those plastic packets that have liquid and detergent in like these.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:47:01 AM »
Yea prime, Just check the machine for suds.  Its a very common reason for dishwashers to leak.  It only takes a drop of regular dish soap to create suds inside the tank.  Turn your dishwasher on, let it agitate for a few minutes, then open the door.  There should be NO suds inside.  If you find suds, take any kind of cooking oil and splash it into the suds.  The oil will remove the suds.  Instant coffee creamer works as well.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
Switch to the cascade powder stuff thats been around for years.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »
Suds will make it leak through to the pump?  Its not leaking through the door at all.  I'm going to check, just haven't had a chance.  I wanted to verify that though.  It would make sense since both my tests that ran dry were done without soap. 

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
I misunderstood and thought it was leaking at the door.  If it's leaking at the pump in the center, then you need to either replace the motor/pump or rebuild it.  Part for the motor/pump is 8193513A (expensive). For rebuild you need the impeller kit, 675806.  You may have to take a hammer and chisel to the drain impeller to get it off.

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
What i think is happening is that water is getting through to the thing that spins, then the spinning makes it fly around at which point it drips down the pump.  It isnt dripping down the center of the pump per se. When the dishwasher is running you can feel like a mist spray underneath.   I think the pump seal could still be the problem and I already have it shipping here.  I'll verify the suds thing though too if that also can fit the problem.

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Well what I thought was the pump seal wasn't.  I thought the pump seal was what is actually the motor gasket.  The pump seal was fine, I still think the motor gasket could be wear the water is getting out.  Took the thing almost entirely apart.  Cleaned out some random pieces that got caught underneath the pump base and also cleaned off all the gaskets which were very dirty, but still in good shape.  Got it all back together, except for the check valve that snapped when I overtightened it.  Repairing the piece with plastic epoxy right now so I haven't had a chance to test how well it is working yet.  I did check for suds a few days ago, but I didn't see any.  The pump may have been a little loose, as I definitely got it on more snug and it doesn't seem to move as much as I could jiggle it previously.  I did this by putting what I believe is the wash impeller on tighter.  I'll update once I get the check valve back on, that is if the epoxy hold is strong enough. 

Offline prime311

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »
Oh forgot to mention, if is still leaking now then I think I'll have to get that impeller and seal kit you posted.  Thanks again for the help!

Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 13147
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7602
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ
when your LG dishwasher starts to leak read this

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 1
Views: 8694
Last post December 31, 2007, 06:48:29 PM
by AJ
Dishwasher door leak