Author Topic: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat  (Read 10710 times)

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
Re: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:09 PM »
I finally had a chance to open my dryer up again today and noticed something discouraging, the 2-prong connector & the secondary coil is all charred up.  Part of the wiring harness has also melted.  The 3-prong booster coil and its harness appears to be ok. This was even worse than the other day. I hope my roommate didn't attempt to use the dryer while I was gone. Ok, so I took my coils and tested their resistance; its similar to reference (@ 1300, 560, & 1200 ohms), so I think even my old coils are ok. Now when I tested the limit thermostat, it gave me 0.8-0.9ohms (ref. says it should be > 1ohm). I also noticed a similar looking 2-terminal device next to the limit thermostat that is mounted slightly higher on the burner housing, which also gave similar resistance (this device wasn't listed in the service manual).

So first things first, I'll need to trace down and rebuild the wiring harness tomorrow. Now according to the numbers above does it still seem like a thermostat issue? or Could it be that my wiring harness was faulty to begin with (possibly melted when I overheated the dryer when it got stuck running for 3hrs)? Thank you.

:(

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
JW,
After attempting to rewire my harness at the gas valve area, I noticed my ignitor's wires (in heatproof insulation) is charred up beyond use. I'll have to purchase a new ignitor. I will also purchase a new thermostat to be sure. I have another question: what is the difference between a cycling thermostat and a limit thermostat? Thanks.

-DV

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
The cycling thermostat needs to be replaced and the limits. The cycling thermostat is mounted on the blower housing. Its maximum temp is 160f. That is for cotton. NUMBER 31 is the cycle thermostat. If someone was to put a limit there instead of the cycling thermostat then the temp would shut down at 250f and start melting everything. Is that what happened?

The limit is number 10 and the thermal cutout is number 33. If the dryer over heats this dude is supposed to melt and kill the gas assembly. Has number 33 been bypassed? I can't imagine them gas valve wires getting hot to the point of melting without someone monkeying around with the safetys.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
JW,
Now that I see this parts diagram, it's much clearer. I've been thinking the control thermostat (31) was actually the limit thermostat (10); I couldn't even identify the thermal cutout (33) initially. No, I believe the positions of the limit and control thermostat has not been tampered with. The thermal cutout wires remain untouched and not bypassed (unless the melting of the wires have somehow caused it to be bypassed).

About the melting of the gas valve wires, I have a feeling it happened AFTER I replaced the valve coils. It looked pretty bad then, but not all melted down. I swapped each valve coil wire one-by-one. One thing I did noticed before replacing is that the secondary coil was initially mounted upside-down (the terminals were on the bottom & the guide hole wasn't in its slot). So I flipped it over and screwed everything back together. The dryer was test-run a couple min afterwards, but it never heated up because the gas flame wouldn't ignite, so I shut it off, turn off gas, but did not unplug the power. A few days later when I opened up the dryer to measure the thermostat, the wires have COMPLETELY melted. Another thing I noticed is the gas valve output was not completely in-line with the inlet hole on the burner housing (which may have redirected the gas in the wrong direction).

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
You need to find and repair the short circuit in the dryer.
Remove all wires and test each one to ground.
Check all component terminals to ground.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »
JT,
It's been awhile since I've worked with electricity. So in order to find the short circuit, will my multimeter need to be set to check for continuity and then I'll need to see if any of the terminals or wires has continuity with the chassis ground?

Anyway, before I could start measuring, the first thing I'll need to do is replace all the melted wire on the harness around the gas valve area. Luckily everything is still intact so that I could rewire and solder each terminal individually. Of course, the only 2 wires I couldn't do anything about is the two heat-insulated wires coming off the ignitor.

Thanks alot for everybody's help!

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Just an update on my attempt at repairing my gas dryer. After rebuilting the wiring harness around the valve coils, installing the new igniter, and reassembling the dryer that I've torn apart; I fired it up: there were flames in the burner and heat in the exhaust pipe!

I've been backtracking my fixes and replicating the issue: I believe I've turned the dial pointer on the AUTO setting too far (between "Less Dry" & "Off"). This probably knocked the dial outside of its operating range, causing it to stick (which sometimes happen on my little oven). The dryer overheated after running for 3hrs and possibly damaged part of the harness, shorting it somewhere. As a result, it never heated up afterwards; even after replacing the valve coils. Worse yet, the next morning, I found the the harness around the valve had melted badly and the wires from the igniter burnt up beyond use (I'd left the dryer plugged in overnight).

Now that it's back up and running, I'm able to successfully get the AUTO settings to operate normally by keeping the pointer within the "Very Dry to Less Dry" range; however, upon testing, I've found that the manual TIMER setting is much more consistent and haven't failed. So I'll likely stick to this rather than using any of the AUTO settings, just to be safe. Anyway, I appreciate everybody's contribution...not only saving the dryer, but more importantly, I've attained a new skill!

-DV   ;D

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Glad to hear you got it working again.
Thanks for the update.  O0
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline elite

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
please check your venting sounds like you had a lynt fire very rare that wires around coils catch on fire unless there is a venting issue allowing the flame to curl backwards from the burner tube

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
Thanks. The day after the fix, I went ahead and shortened/cleared the venting hole to make it more efficient. The couple of elbows might've contributed to the initial problem causing the dial to stick.

The crazy thing is that the melting of the wires near the valve happened AFTER I opened the dryer up to replace the valve coils (which I thought was broken not allowing the dryer to produce any heat; however, I later found out the igniter lights up, but it cannot light up a flame). I was disappointed and shut off the gas and quit. A few days later, I opened it up again only to find out that the wirings have completely melted, which suggested something shorted and probably lighted up the igniter while I was away. A member suggested I must first eliminate the short, which I did while carefully rebuilding the harness. After I plugged it back in, to my surprise, the dryer worked like new!

-DV

Admiral Dryer tumbles, doesn't heat up.

Started by jencredible

Replies: 5
Views: 5121
Last post April 27, 2010, 10:11:06 PM
by jencredible
Admiral gas dryer ADG7005AWW starts to dry, but flame cuts off.

Started by Lordoffire

Replies: 2
Views: 1463
Last post May 18, 2014, 10:05:12 AM
by Maintech
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Views: 8264
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Views: 7145
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 17
Views: 16100
Last post December 03, 2014, 12:15:07 AM
by BillR625
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3756
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56