Author Topic: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat  (Read 10551 times)

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:13 AM »
Hi,
I've recently bought a used Admiral washer and gas dryer set. I believe the dryer initially heated up well, however, I later found out that the Automatic settings would not work correctly (it gets stuck), but the minute timed settings work. The result was that it got stuck on the Auto setting and the dryer ran on for 2-3 hours, excessively drying my clothes, and possibly overheating some components of the dryer. On my 2nd use, I noticed that the dryer would no longer heat up. After doing some research, I figure the coils may be bad, so I bought a new set with a 2-prong and a 3-prong coil. After swapping them out, I found out that there was still no heat. I opened it back up and checked the igniter; it seems to glow up just fine, however, there is no flame or burning gas. The igniter would glow for 10sec, then turn off, repeating this cycle a few times per minute. I'd appreciate it if some knowledgeable member might be able to point me to the right direction.

Model ADG7005AWW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Admiral Dryer (ADG7005AWW) won't heat
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
Sounds to me like your control thermostat (mounted on the blower housing) I faulty.
This Amana gas and electric dryer manual will help you check components:
Amana dryer service manual

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:29:15 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
JW,
Thank you for your input. The service manual was very helpful as it shows the exact model of my dryer. This is my first time trying to service a dryer. Anyway, may I ask, what role does the limit (or control) thermostat play in a gas dryer, or more specifically, how is it stopping my dryer from heating up? Did my previous overheating of the dryer damaged the thermostat? Finally, I assume the thermostat has nothing to do with my dryer getting stuck under AUTO setting, is that correct? Thanks again!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
The control is mounted on the blower housing. It judges the temp coming from the drum area. When it gets to 160 max for cotton it shuts down till around 105 then it kicks back in again. Some have 4 wires. 2 big wires carry the load and 2 smaller wires serve to warm up a tiny heater in the control. This tiny heater makes the control shut down faster for delicate and permanent press. Those tend to go haywire from time to time. This thermostat does play apart in the non sensing type dryer with auto features screwing up it's routine.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the information JW. I will start searching for the control thermostat as I've found the part number (it's a 2 terminal thermostat). Since I've replaced the Valve Coils and that didn't help, I hope this will be the culprit. From what you've described, it appears my thermostat is either shutting down the heating before it could flame up, or maybe dead-open and not even sensing anything. I will open the dryer up again this weekend to measure the resistance between the thermostat's 2 terminals, as instructed in the service manual. Will post updates to help others w/ similar problems.

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 01:26:15 AM »
Another question I'd like to ask is: Does the FLAME SENSOR have anything to do with any of the symptoms I've described? Here's a breakdown of my troubleshooting steps:

1. Gas present (can smell a bit of it)
2. Ignitor glows strong when start (then dies in 15secs & repeat)
3. No flame or burning present
4. Good strong pressure at vent outside (but cool air)
5. Replaced both holding/booster coils on gas valve today (same results).
6. Next target: replace the limit/control thermostat.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
Could be one of them safety's is getting age on them and they are shutting down. Run it and and quickly check each component. After it dies. You know the ignitor is good and the flame sensor is good and the coils are new. So it is gonna either be a limit or a control stat. If could be the 250 degree limit that mounts on the burner chamber. I would definitly check that one after it dies. Remove the wires from each component. This does 2 things. Keeps from getting a false reading and sometimes the stat just falls apart.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:10:53 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Natural or LP gas? I have seen burner heads fall apart on LP. This would in fact give the same symptom. Spider web in burner is another. You would in fact smell gas on the outlet of your duct when it runs on both problems.

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:59:34 AM »
I'm using natural gas. I believe the dryer worked okay before that one time it got stuck running for 3hrs (I've just recently bought it used, though in very good condition). I'm currently back at my parents house for the weekend and once I return, will open the dryer back up to check the continuity of the thermostat. If it doesn't test right, then I'll order a new one (only about $12 on ebay). Honestly, it is a fairly simple setup and I'm not sure what else could be the problem. I guess the final step would be just to replace the whole gas valve assembly if I hit a dead-end by next week.  :embarassed:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »
I do not think you are going to have to do that. Remember do the tests directly after the appliance fails.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:09 PM »
I finally had a chance to open my dryer up again today and noticed something discouraging, the 2-prong connector & the secondary coil is all charred up.  Part of the wiring harness has also melted.  The 3-prong booster coil and its harness appears to be ok. This was even worse than the other day. I hope my roommate didn't attempt to use the dryer while I was gone. Ok, so I took my coils and tested their resistance; its similar to reference (@ 1300, 560, & 1200 ohms), so I think even my old coils are ok. Now when I tested the limit thermostat, it gave me 0.8-0.9ohms (ref. says it should be > 1ohm). I also noticed a similar looking 2-terminal device next to the limit thermostat that is mounted slightly higher on the burner housing, which also gave similar resistance (this device wasn't listed in the service manual).

So first things first, I'll need to trace down and rebuild the wiring harness tomorrow. Now according to the numbers above does it still seem like a thermostat issue? or Could it be that my wiring harness was faulty to begin with (possibly melted when I overheated the dryer when it got stuck running for 3hrs)? Thank you.

:(

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
JW,
After attempting to rewire my harness at the gas valve area, I noticed my ignitor's wires (in heatproof insulation) is charred up beyond use. I'll have to purchase a new ignitor. I will also purchase a new thermostat to be sure. I have another question: what is the difference between a cycling thermostat and a limit thermostat? Thanks.

-DV

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
The cycling thermostat needs to be replaced and the limits. The cycling thermostat is mounted on the blower housing. Its maximum temp is 160f. That is for cotton. NUMBER 31 is the cycle thermostat. If someone was to put a limit there instead of the cycling thermostat then the temp would shut down at 250f and start melting everything. Is that what happened?

The limit is number 10 and the thermal cutout is number 33. If the dryer over heats this dude is supposed to melt and kill the gas assembly. Has number 33 been bypassed? I can't imagine them gas valve wires getting hot to the point of melting without someone monkeying around with the safetys.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline beyondx4

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
JW,
Now that I see this parts diagram, it's much clearer. I've been thinking the control thermostat (31) was actually the limit thermostat (10); I couldn't even identify the thermal cutout (33) initially. No, I believe the positions of the limit and control thermostat has not been tampered with. The thermal cutout wires remain untouched and not bypassed (unless the melting of the wires have somehow caused it to be bypassed).

About the melting of the gas valve wires, I have a feeling it happened AFTER I replaced the valve coils. It looked pretty bad then, but not all melted down. I swapped each valve coil wire one-by-one. One thing I did noticed before replacing is that the secondary coil was initially mounted upside-down (the terminals were on the bottom & the guide hole wasn't in its slot). So I flipped it over and screwed everything back together. The dryer was test-run a couple min afterwards, but it never heated up because the gas flame wouldn't ignite, so I shut it off, turn off gas, but did not unplug the power. A few days later when I opened up the dryer to measure the thermostat, the wires have COMPLETELY melted. Another thing I noticed is the gas valve output was not completely in-line with the inlet hole on the burner housing (which may have redirected the gas in the wrong direction).

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
You need to find and repair the short circuit in the dryer.
Remove all wires and test each one to ground.
Check all component terminals to ground.
Take a Kid fishing.

Admiral Dryer tumbles, doesn't heat up.

Started by jencredible

Replies: 5
Views: 5039
Last post April 27, 2010, 10:11:06 PM
by jencredible
Admiral gas dryer ADG7005AWW starts to dry, but flame cuts off.

Started by Lordoffire

Replies: 2
Views: 1431
Last post May 18, 2014, 10:05:12 AM
by Maintech
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Views: 8106
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Views: 6933
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 15777
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3579
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56