Author Topic: Maytag Washer  (Read 2374 times)

Offline joeboy

• VIP Member
Maytag Washer
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »
During the operation of the wash machine I heard a loud squealing.  I shut the machine off, drained the water and when I tilted the machine back I noticed that the motor pulley had some melted plastic material all inside the pulley.  I removed the pulley and the pieces came off.  Can't tell what it was and I don't believe that it was part of the pulley.  The motor, transmission and pump all spin freely.  No marks on either the transmission pulley or the water pump.  To my luck they no longer manufacture just the pulley.  I would have to purchase the complete motor which comes with the $4.00 pulley.  Do I have a problem here, or do I just reinstall the pulley and hope for the best?  I replaced the belt a few months back.  There is some battle damage to the belt at this time with a little melted plastic stuck to it.  Thanks for your time.

Model MAVT446AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Maytag Washer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:44 AM »
I'm going to make your day...
The secret part number for the pulley is 21001108
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline joeboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »
I want to thank you for the help with my washer.  I'm back in business.  This is the first time ever that I ordered something and it was delivered a day before the scheduled date.  I have told many people at work about your web site and how much you have helped me.  Once again thank you.   :D

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:30:52 PM »
Give it a good listen while doing a load. The first pulley did not melt for no reason. Them pumps are known to lock slap up.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline joeboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »
That was going to be my next question.  I was informed this evening that sometimes when the load is complete the cloths are really damp to almost dripping.  I figure that the pump is fixing to go south on me.  Do you concur with this thought?  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
Seen a lot of those pumps lock up, or the bearings separate and make an awful noise when running.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »
Yep and you would think they might leak but that ain't the case. Seen em lock up in one direction while the other direction was easy as pie to turn. Now your thrust washer kit might be in need of replacement and that could explain why the pulley is getting hot and the clothes are coming out dripping. As you know the motor goes in both directions and the pump never gets a break. It is turning at all times while the motor is turning. The main drive pulley has a cam riser on it. With age  wears out. The kit comes with a new drive pulley and a series of washers. Check out this thrust washer replacement pictorial:

THRUST WASHER REPLACEMENT
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:18:07 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8305
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Video: Old Maytag Gas Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3887
Last post September 04, 2007, 10:34:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW

Started by davidpgh1

Replies: 8
Views: 10199
Last post January 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
by inot66
Maytag LAT8704AAE Washer Leak

Started by endresrk

Replies: 3
Views: 5550
Last post August 28, 2007, 08:11:12 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 29515
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
How old is my Maytag washer?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 17923
Last post September 03, 2007, 12:42:08 PM
by AJ