Author Topic: 1954 Fridgidaire - refrigerator has pinhole leak in condenser/freezer floor  (Read 2385 times)

Offline reaboy

• VIP Member
My parent's 1954 Fridgidaire is now mine and after defrosting and moving it no longer works. I found a pinhole in the floor of the freezer box. The freezer was well encased in ice and when it melted, the gas escaped. Hole may have been from a prior metal tool helping the defrost process.

I am restoring this fridge with rechromed trim, automotive charcoal paint job, new seal, etc.

Anybody have a fix suggestion for the pinhole? I have a vaccuum pump, gauges, freon, etc. My father has done this work on his own appliances since the 50's - he is now 82, and may not be traveling to my house for some time. I have access to a friends tig welder and he is confident that will work. I thought I would check here first.

Also, can anyone explain the two coils (1 small and 1 large). I am familiar with just a high side line, and a suction side with one coil. This has two small lines, to large, and a threaded port I would assume is a fill port. I am also familiar with just a crimped tube for fill - not the threaded port. These things sure were built stout - 56 continuous years of running (minus defrosts and moves, of course) and no maintenance EVER until this pinhole - so sad!

Thanks
Todd

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Hi,

Please do not double post.

Your original topic can be found at this URL.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=6736.0

I'm going to lock this topic and leave your other one open being it already has a reply.

Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Antique 1954 Fridgidaire w/ pinhole leak in freezer floor

Started by reaboy

Replies: 1
Views: 1539
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:13:26 AM
by jophil28
LG Refrigerator LRFC25750SW Freezer developing Ice on Freezer Floor

Started by Regulardude41

Replies: 2
Views: 277
Last post May 20, 2014, 01:46:59 AM
by domain
GE refrigerator/freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 7
Views: 3326
Last post May 21, 2008, 05:44:45 AM
by Repair-man
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 6800
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
What would cause water to collect beneath the crispers of my refrigerator-freezer?

Started by yahoo

Replies: 2
Views: 2512
Last post March 24, 2008, 09:11:06 AM
by JWWebster
Jenn-Air Refrigerator, Freezer Drawer won't Close

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2763
Last post August 18, 2008, 06:54:39 AM
by TechnicianBrian