Author Topic: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven  (Read 4144 times)

Offline scout

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 3
toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »
I have a 2 yr old Kenmore range.  I live alone and use the oven very rarely.  The first time I used it it gave off an obnoxious odor.  I called and a tech came out.  He said it was the 'new' that needed to burn off.  I have only used it 3 or 4 times since for warming up bread.  On Sunday I made a cheesecake, 375 for 50 minutes.  30 minutes into the cook time the toxic fumes drove me out of the kitchen.  My eyes were stinging and watering, I couldn't keep them open.  It was hard to breathe the fumes.  I opened all the windows and doors and turned on all the fans.  After I turned off the oven and looked inside there was a pool of black gunk on the floor of the oven, about 2 cups of it.  After it cooled enough, I wiped out what I could and scraped out that that had hardened.  There is still some in there that I couldn't get out.  I'm afraid to use the oven, I think it is dangerous.  I have no idea where the black stuff came from, there was nothing in or on the walls of the oven when I put the cheesecake in.  What can I do?

Model 790.9641440C

Offline JWWebster

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 8781
  • Country: us
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:59 PM »
is it electric or gas?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Nov 2007
  • Posts: 1879
  • Country: us
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Seems to me you have a natural gas oven connected to LP(bottled) gas without proper conversion.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline scout

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 3
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
is it electric or gas?
It's electric, self cleaning.

Offline scout

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 3
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
Seems to me you have a natural gas oven connected to LP(bottled) gas without proper conversion.
  No, it's an electric self cleaning oven.

Online theoldstoveguy

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 1334
  • Country: us
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
Were the legs installed on this unit? I have seen legs come in the packets, possibly came loose in transit and got stuck in broil element.

Offline Repair-man

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Feb 2008
  • Posts: 3020
  • Country: us
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: toxic fumes from Kenmore glasstop range oven
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »
2 years old? Seldom used?

The last time I took apart a stove like that, I found a ton of mouse droppings in the upper insulation over the  oven cavity. Mice love this area due to the warm insulation and go there to remove bits of it to carry to their nests. In my particular case, they also made nests inside the insulation, so there was a ton of excrement there, and believe me, it will make your nose burn and your eyes water when the oven is turned on. As the oven heats, this stuff melts and seeps into the oven, smelly dark and nasty. I have literally had to replace the entire oven insulation wrapper and hose down the unit outside to remove this kind of infiltration.  I'm not saying yours is this way, but a quick inspection under the main top by a technician who can open the oven  panels up will suffice.

This oven was used by a 80 year old lady who seldom cooked herself a meal anymore, only for holidays when the grandkids come.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:17:06 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

 

Kenmore Electric Range - Oven Elements?

Started by gp7556

Replies: 2
Views: 2443
Last post March 15, 2010, 12:02:42 AM
by bakeray
Kenmore gas oven in fumes

Started by misterno1

Replies: 1
Views: 879
Last post August 01, 2014, 05:46:58 PM
by Maintech
Kenmore Range Overheating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3442
Last post March 20, 2008, 11:13:21 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Range no Oven Operation

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3243
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Range No Oven Operation

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 5
Views: 3741
Last post April 24, 2008, 01:32:13 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Range Oven Light Stays On

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6286
Last post May 09, 2008, 07:26:14 AM
by TechnicianBrian