Author Topic: GE dishwasher not cleaning dishes  (Read 19742 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE dishwasher not cleaning dishes
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
This Late model GE DW service manual looks like it is close to yours. Have you inspected the filter screen as shown on page 21?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
Wouldn't that result in water remaining in the tub at the end of the wash?  It's always dry.

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
I did disassemble the arm and the filter and cleaned them.  The filter was not clogged and looked fairly clear.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
Could be some junk down inside the wash impeller. I hate dishwashers. On this dishwasher they decided to dump the old tried and true sidewinder with the solenoid. They added a pump into the system to remove the water. Looks like they are using a wax motor to manipulate that check ball for various modes and then they added a turbidity sensor to measure water clarity to boot. To run all that junk they decided to add in a NASA control panel. They have taken the good old pot scrubber and turned it into a nightmare. I would be willing to bet that wax motor has got something to do with the poor performance of this dishwasher. My opinion. I don't work on em. Hate em.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:25:40 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »
You'e way over my head.  Obviously you know dishwashers.  So what would you recommend if someone is going to purchase one today?

Are you sure some of my problem doesn't have to do with taking phosphates out of the soap?  Seems it all started happening since then.  I know my son ruined his dishwasher (purchased 6 years ago) because of liquid Cascade.  Luckily I had a repairman tell me not to use it.

In simple language, what exactly should I do to clean this out?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
The powdered cascade is the best stuff. Prevents etching. Jet dry prevents spots.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »
New information...I did check the garbage disposal when the washer drained and it is a 3/4-1" jet of water so doesn't appear to have any blockage

Also found out that the water in our city has added more chlorine in it since spring flooding which is about the time this white deposit started showing up.  NRD said others have called about the deposits and suggested washing the washer with a cup of bleach. 
Of course, that won't take care of the food specs.  Will try to get the cover off and clean the part you suggested.

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »
Yeah, removed the cover inlet :)  There was some water in the box below it; probably from putting the rinsed dishes in the washer?  In the box I found a piece of paper and a chicken bone, don't know how that snuck by us and one side of the box was coated with white caked on powder-like residue.  I scraped that off and that side of the box had little holes in it from what I could see....like a screen but part of the box.  There was a hole at the bottom of the left side and I tried to stick a flexible brush in there but it must have hit a wall or where the pipe turns.  Didn't get any food debris out of the box other than what I mentioned so am not hopeful this is going to do the trick. 

Also the water only comes up halfway on the legs of the fine filter  assembly.  Is this normal? 

Finally, I think I have done all I can???  Should I call for service?

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
My dishwasher seems to be working well now.  Thank you everyone for all your advice and encouragement to take off the drain cover.  After scraping off the residue, I am not seeing the white deposits nor the food particles.  I learned our water supply has had extra chlorine added to the water since flooding from the melting snow this winter and they continued this thru the summeer do to the excess rain.  That was about the time the first white spots appeared.  So it must have built up in the washer.  I have shared your advice with my neighbor who has had the problem as well. 

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
I have read that the Finish Quantum dish detergent is the best one to use since the change to phosphate free. Supposedly MUCH better than Cascade now.

What did the liquid Cascade do to your sons dishwasher?

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:20 AM »
The entire inside of his dishwasher was coated in white mineral deposits including the heating element.  His dishes and pots and pans are now coated like my spatula in the picture above only worse. He tried everything to clean the dishwasher even scraping off the deposits but decided that he will have to replace the unit if he wants clear dishes.  He built his house a year before we did (2003) so it is relatively new and had been using the liquid soap. They run the dishwasher probably twice a day compared to mine which maybe is 5 times a week.  But I had a repairman warn me off the liquid Cascade.  He lives in another town but I'm sure has some hard water as well but he hasn't heard complaints from his neighbors.  Thanks for the info on Finish...never liked it in the past.  I will try it.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »
Has your son tried running a bottle or two of Dishwasher Magic or Finish Dishwasher Cleaner through his machine to see if it will clear out the build up? Might be worth it . I have used it before but I have never had build up that bad before. I think Lemi Shine is also good for build-up also.You can even run the Lemi Shine with the dishes to get the gunk off of those. All this is available at Wal Mart.
In fact, it would probably benefit you also to run one of the above through your machine to clean out the pump,pipes,etc.

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
I had used Dishwasher Magic and saw no change.  Did not try Lemi Shine but see they have great reviews.  My son also used one of these products in addition to running a vinegar wash.  No change.  I think it is too advanced.  Everything seems to be ok now so I think the big culprit was the chlorine they added to the water. 

Maytag Dishwasher not Cleaning Dishes

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6851
Last post December 14, 2008, 02:21:32 PM
by TechnicianBrian
GE Profile Dishwasher not cleaning dishes

Started by mshedden

Replies: 3
Views: 4479
Last post January 20, 2009, 12:59:45 AM
by JWWebster
Fridgidair Dishwasher Not Cleaning, Crazy Noise

Started by aekdbbop

Replies: 1
Views: 1938
Last post January 10, 2009, 10:02:29 AM
by AJ
Kenmore elite dishwasher not getting dishes clean on smart clean setting

Started by confusion

Replies: 1
Views: 2655
Last post April 23, 2009, 03:39:28 AM
by sparky823
Dishwasher leaves water on dishes...will not dry.

Started by retseih

Replies: 8
Views: 10256
Last post November 27, 2012, 08:48:52 PM
by domain
Kenmore dishwasher fill time varies ... & cleaning quality varies, too

Started by wieb

Replies: 6
Views: 3582
Last post March 28, 2010, 03:34:44 PM
by Repair-man