Author Topic: Ice Maker Not Automatically Making Ice...  (Read 2113 times)

Offline NickPDX

• VIP Member
Ice Maker Not Automatically Making Ice...
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
Sorry to make another "Ice maker not making ice thread" but I read through all the others on the Frigidaire side and many others for other brands and I have not come across an answer for my problem.

The ice maker in my Frigidaire FRS6R5ESB4 side by side fridge stopped making ice about a week or two ago.  I have done some testing to try to figure out what the problem is and think that I have narrowed it down to the "Valve-water inlet, triple solenoid".  I poured water into the ice maker in the freezer and it froze the water and ejected it from the tray.  The water comes out of the water dispenser just fine.  The filter is only about a month old and I did take it out and checked it anyway.  I disconnected the tube that runs up the back of the fridge and blew through it to make sure it wasn't clogged (it wasn't).  I pushed a straw through the back of the fridge and blew through the back to to where it dispenses water into the tray to make sure it was clear.  After all of that I can't see what else it would or could be.

I assume that it is the valve water inlet not pumping water up the tube to get to the ice maker?  This is an assumption though and I was hoping that the experienced professionals on here could help me be more sure of my decision.  The part is not too expensive but I would rather not spend $70 on something that I didn't really need.  

Thanks for any help you all can provide! :-)

Nick

Offline NickPDX

• VIP Member
Re: Ice Maker Not Automatically Making Ice...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »
I wanted to add that there is no water leaking anywhere that I have found.

Sorry, I didn't see an option to edit my original post.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Ice Maker Not Automatically Making Ice...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »
Before ordering the valve remove the cover from the ice maker. Your ice maker is what you call a compact ice maker. On those ice makers the ice ejector gear will lose a tooth in it at the point where the water fills the mold. Make sure you don't need a $ 2 part before you buy a $63. Take a look at this educational page and see if this ain't your ice maker
Compact ice maker 101. LOL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:43:58 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Ice Maker Not Automatically Making Ice...

Started by LighntinRod

Replies: 11
Views: 3174
Last post January 31, 2011, 11:09:36 AM
by LighntinRod
Kenmore Ice maker not making ice

Started by retired

Replies: 1
Views: 2461
Last post September 10, 2008, 08:14:37 PM
by JWWebster
Ice cube maker only making 1/2 size cubes