Author Topic: Kenmore Washer  (Read 7107 times)

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
Kenmore Washer
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »
Alright-this has gotten frustrating.

My washer was agitatng and doing everything just fine until one day our clothes were ringing wet still. For some reason, the washer wasn't getting to full speed/not spinning at all during the spin cycle.  I researched online for awhile and went through all the checks to figure out it must be the clutch (after replacing lid switch and checking coupling). I replaced the clutch and did a run with no clothes, and heck did the tub spin fast!

so i put a load of laundry in, walked away, and came back to see a washer full of water and laundry. it looks like, according to the knob to program the washer, it stopped shortly after it filled up with water and began agitating.

now i can't seem to get the washer to turn on at all. now i'm afraid i did something wrong when i changed out the clutch and the machine is fried. when i took out the transmission case, i opened it up to check it and it was just fine, full of oil still.

i have no idea what it could be, and i'm tempted to just go get a new one. but i feel i'm so close to fixing this one.

any ideas?

Model 11023912100

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Washer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Maybe you forgot to plug in the lidswitch?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »
i checked all wiring connections and they are all good to go... no loose connections or anything.

once i discovered the unit full of water and my clothes, i took the shell off to check everything underneath (not sure why). all i found was a super hot motor...

Offline kellonnie

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
clogged pump or binding coupling

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
when i took the hot motor off, the couplings were in good condition and both were turning just fine... i didn't think about checking the pump, but that means i and going to have a watery mess to check that!

i am getting to motor sound or anything from the machine when i turn it on. it is completely dead-nothing happens. i've checked the outlet, the breaker, made sure the plug is still good etc. so it's gotta be the machine.

would a clogged pump completely shut down the machine, to the point of nothing running at all?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
Lay the hose on the floor in a bucket and a lot of the water should come out. if it don't then you know you got a sock in the pump.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:01:55 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
alrighty-so i know it's not the pump. i drained the washer, took out the wet clothes, and dissassembled it again. i found that the retainer ring on the clutch was missing and put a new one on and reassembled and bamo! she spun again.  i stopped it, then tested it again, and she wouldn't spin again!?!?! all she would do would make a humming noise... no movement at all. (she does fill with water tho.)

What am i doing wrong?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
It does that.It has a built in delay
Give it a chance will ya
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
 I would suspect the timer could be intermittant. Try jiggling the knob when it won't spin or agitate. You can also check for power from the timer and to the motor in agitate and spin.

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:25 AM »
how would i check that? volt meter? i checked it at the door switch, and there was power to the switch... it just sounds like the motor isn't being able to turn anything... like it is binding up. i will try to run it through a cycle this morning with nothing in it to see if anything will happen...

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »
Sorry. I thought you said the motor wasn't doing anything, making no noise. Hot motor, trying to turn, sounds like a bad motor or a binding coupler. Did you make sure the pump could turn easily? Are both halves of the coupler flush with the shafts? If those things check good, I would replace the motor. It might have had just enough power to spin for a short time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:48:45 AM by MajorApp »

Offline drewbop

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »
yeah, that's what i'm afraid of.... again, i was able to start the washer in spin mode and it would get up to regular speed. i would turn it off, then try to start it again and once again it would just make a humming sound. do you think maybe the brake is clamping down and getting stuck? i can barely move it by hand while it makes the humming noise, and it won't start spinning at all... just hums.................

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
That sounds to me like the motor.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline kellonnie

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
take the pump off, take the motor off the tranny and start it on the ground see what it does, put your foot on it though,

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »
Tranny and clutch. :(

How do I access Kenmore Washer Timer. 11023034100?

Started by wsommariva

Replies: 7
Views: 12734
Last post September 02, 2007, 04:58:36 PM
by AJ
Video: Why My Kenmore Washer Died

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 4557
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:06:51 PM
by AJ
Kenmore (frigidaire?) washer 417.29042991 No Spin - drains fine