Author Topic: Kenmore Dryer-tripping breaker  (Read 11112 times)

Offline SuburbanMan

• VIP Member
Kenmore Dryer-tripping breaker
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:14 AM »
My Kenmore dryer is about 2.5 years old and started tripping the breaker at the panel.  I cleaned out the lint trap, shopvac'd all the nooks and crannies, stuck the hose way up inside the exhaust as far I could go and cleaned it out as best I could.  Still continued to trip the breaker, finally replaced the breaker at the panel (40 amp), worked for about 1.5 months and started tripping again, have to replace the breaker again because it won't reset anymore for being reset too many times.  Pretty sure I have an issue with the dryer although it is not indicating any trouble codes or signs.  Thought it may have been the size of the loads or the wetness of the load, but no go, doesn't matter big or small, soaked or damp.  What else can I do to test the dryer, I'd love to find the solution without paying the mandatory $75 initial visit fee from Sears.

Model 110.86572500

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
Re: Kenmore Dryer-tripping breaker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »
turn off breakers, unplug dryer and inspect the cord end for signs of burning, also open up the dryer plug on the wall and look inside it for loose or burnt connections

after that you need an amprobe to measure the currect draw

btw dryer breakers are 30 amps, not 40 so you have quite the problem to trip a 40 amp breaker
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:24:52 AM »
Better replace that breaker with a 30-amp before something happens. It's mighty hard for an insurance adjuster to cover a loss when there is evidence of miswiring.

Not to say your house is going to burn down or anything....

Your dryer should pull about 23 amps running in a heat cycle.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
you could have a faulty control thermostat or a shorted heatng element. Or it may be a bad breaker. All electric dryers need a 30 amp breaker by the way. One other thing may be the pigtail is wired wrong. Highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:47:55 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline SuburbanMan

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
Thanks, I've changed out the breaker to 30 amp and am going to inspect the outlet and all the connections to see if anything is off kilter.  After I check the obvious, I'm not to sure where to start with diagnosing or troubleshooting.  In regards to the above mentioned items in the other posts, is there any order to start checking things or any common ailments for this type of dryer?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 06:40:36 AM »
You can find the offending electrical part on the dryer by using your OHM meter to check for shorts in things like the heater and motor. Any continuity to ground would indicate a failed component. A clamp-on amp meter can be found at most big box building stores like Lowes or HD. This meter is clamped around a single leg of the dryer cord and monitored during operation for signs of excessive amperage. In the field these 2 tools are our greatest assets.

You'll see on your motor that it is rated for around 3 amps running. The ammeter will verify this and show any deviation. A normal electric dryer draws about 23 amps when running and heating, as the elements consume most of the power. This will be viewable using the amp probe.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:48:08 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Kenmore Dryer

Started by jdman

Replies: 6
Views: 6284
Last post August 12, 2007, 07:30:06 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1