Author Topic: Kenmore model 70 empties, won't spin unless I turn off and back on again  (Read 2926 times)

Offline vladio

• VIP Member
I have a kenmore model 70. the wife says clothes aren't spun dry after washing. I hear the machine click and empty the water but it's not spinning. If I pull the setting knob and push it back in to resume, the basket spins.

I saw a post similar to this but they didn't say whether stopping and starting activated the spin.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Joe you have a broken coupling, Cllick on picture to enlarge them. You remove the cabinet to replace the drive coupling. Here is a video which shows how:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline vladio

• VIP Member
Thank you for the info! this is a great resource.

I'm sorry, I should of told you that it does spin but after I turn it off and back on again.. or is this still the same problem.

The washer seems to be working fine other than it not spinning at a certain point durning rinse. My old Kenmore did the same thing. I would hear it stop and click then start to drain the water but it wouldn't be spinning. If I open the lid or turn it off and back on again the motor would engage the basket and begin to spin.

If the fix is the same, thank you so much for the info. I'll be ordering the parts from you for sure.

Thanks again,
Joe

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
You timer might be hanging up at that spot. Get it off and take the dust cover off it. Use some Zoom oil to lube the gears. Twist the timer round and round rapidly till it turns easier.  Re-install it and try it. If that don't do it then you going to have to get another timer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:58:13 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline vladio

• VIP Member
I'm thinking my wife's crazy.

I took the timer off and cleaned it out with electronics cleaner and relubed. I bypassed the lid switch with a screwdriver and sat back and watched. The only time I see it not spin is during the rinse cycle.

The rinse cycle starts by refilling with water. It then agitates for the appropriate time then stops and soaks for a few minutes. As soon as the soak is over the motor kicks in and pumps the water out without turning the basket. It's at this point (motor running draining the water without rotation) that if I stop the washer cycle by either the knob or opening the lid and restarting there's a click noise and the basket starts to spin. If I don't interrupt this rinse cycle, the motor runs, the water empties and it runs for a couple minutes, stops for another couple minutes then engages the spin for the final spin cycle.

Perhaps this is normal and the wife has me on a wild goose chase.

Thanks for all your help!
Joe

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
This model must have a neutral drain. What happens is the motor will turn with without turning the gears in the gearbox so that the washer can pump out before it spins. After about two minutes or so the timer will completely turn off the motor. This resets the neutral drain so now when the motor comes back on the washer will spin. So what this boils down to, is the motor has got to come to a complete stop for the washer to spin. Donít turn the timer manually just watch it during the entire cycle (boring I know) if the washer doesnít stop completely at some point (around two minutes) during spin the contacts in the timer are most likely stuck.

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/clothes-washer-repair.html#Whirlpool   
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline vladio

• VIP Member
Thanks Ryan and all those who chimed in.

Sounds like all is well then. I've watched a couple load run through and that's the only thing that I see. My older Kenmore did the same thing but when the wife said the clothes were wet I figured something let loose.

There's a couple hours of my life I'd like to have back. LOL. Thanks Honey! LMAO.

Thanks again folks!!!

Kenmore 400 Model 110.29422801 just hums on spin cycle

Started by Laundry Matt

Replies: 5
Views: 1106
Last post December 30, 2012, 11:13:58 AM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Model 110.82082110 Slow Spin

Started by helge

Replies: 9
Views: 605
Last post July 24, 2013, 10:05:20 PM