Author Topic: no-name 24", 4 burner stove  (Read 3104 times)

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
no-name 24", 4 burner stove
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
Since I got such great help with the dryer, I thought I'd ask another question, and although this isn't the correct forum, maybe someone here would know the answer, or could point me to the correct forum.

We have a no-name 24", 4 burner stove, that is maybe 4 years old. Was new when we got it.  Has worked great except for 2 issues.
When you turn on the oven, you have to hold the light/temperature knob in for about 10 clicks of the igniter before the pilot stays on.

the other problem, and this is only in the past year - the large front burner lights intermittently, and less often more recently. Not a big deal - I can use a lighter or match, but it's driving the wife nuts.

Any ideas about service, or parts to replace that would cure both of these problems? thanks

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
Dryer works, but another problem..
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
Here's a picture of the stove top and butner/igniter.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: no-name 24", 4 burner stove
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
Since I got such great help with the dryer, I thought I'd ask another question, and although this isn't the correct forum, maybe someone here would know the answer, or could point me to the correct forum.

Glad to hear that you got your dryer working again.

I split this post from your dryer topic and started a new topic for you.

Being this has nothing more to do with your dryer you really should have started a new topic when you posted it.

Could you find a model number and post it for us?

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
Get a soft bristle brush and clean real good around that igniter I think it needs a clean area around it to light off the burner. Use that same soft brush to clean up the oven pilot safety.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
The drop in flame aluminum piece that supports the enameled flame spreader doesn't seem to sparking from the igniter. I've cleaned it.  I figure the igniter is good because it works intermittently. All of the burners spark when you try and light any one of them - except the larger front burner.

The oven problem has gotten worse.  Now the oven (broiler, upper burner) which always lit, will go on, and then cut off after about 20-30 seconds. If I hold the knob in after the flame ignites, and back off a little so that the igniter stops firing, but I am manually allowing the valve that controls the flow of gas to keep flowing, the flame will stay lit.  But if I let go of the knob, the flame goes out.
This is the same thing that was happening to the lower, oven burner.  To ignite the oven, I have to turn the oven knob to temperature and hold it in for 20 clicks of the igniter before it will stay on - then when I release pressure on the knob the oven would stay on. Now, both of them, if they will light at all go off after 20 seconds.

What should I clean?  Are parts bad? loose connection? Is there a thermocouple that has to get hot enough in order to keep the valve open so gas continues to flow to either the oven or broiler?

thanks for your help.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
What is the oven pilot safety and where is it located?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
Maybe this is the "thermocouple" I'm thinking has to be activated to keep the valve open and the gas flowing to either oven burner. Are there 2 - one for the oven and one for the broiler?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Post a picture of the oven valve and pilot.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
As this is two problems (ignition of front top stove burner AND oven/broiler ignition maintaining flame), I'll talk about them in that order.

After removing the front sheet metal under the knobs, I was able to detect an intermittent arcing of the igniter to the housing it's mounted in under the stove top - there was a small section of insulated wire where it enters the ceramic holder.  I've put some silicone around that and we'll see if that fixes that problem.

The oven valve picture is below.  The oven pilot is difficult to get a picture of - I need to get more light in there.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
What is the oven pilot safety  and where is it located so I can find it and clean it.  Sounds like this might be the culprit.

Also the silicone on the very small section of bare wire where it enters the ceramic, seems to have fixed the intermittent ignition of the stove top burner!

thanks

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
picture of broiler (upper burner in oven) ignition
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
sorry that the focus is so bad.  My camera on phone isn't that great.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
That looks like a flame switch to the left. The igniters light the main burner (looks like their is 2 of them top and right) then that flame sensor (left) sends back verification. Very sophisticated for an old stove. Must be made in canada. That flame switch is probably the blame. To test it remove it from the stove. Heat it with a torch and see if it had continuity. Never seen anythang like it before. Where are you?

Edit from looking at the oven control and them orange wires that dude must have a a pilot light. The igniter lights the pilot which in turn lights the main burner and that heats up the sensor to the left and that give continuity to the black box beneath oven control which is then fed to the main oven control? Using electronics to control the temp? Really kinda over engineered. Another Ralph Nader wonder. How does it judge temp in the oven? :2funny:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:36:32 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
It's not an old stove - maybe 5 years old. I got it from a friend who bought it new and had hardly used it.

I'm going to look at it again as I try and get it to light to see what actually happens.

It actually is fairly good at controlling the temperature, but it has had the problem of where when you set the temperature to say 450, and then after it gets up to temp, if you turn the temp down to say 325, it won't relight when the temp drops down (this is on the oven burner which is in the bottom of the stove).

I usually heat it up to broil fish, for 5 minutes or so, with the oven - then put in the fish under the broiler and turn on on the upper (broiler) burner, and until recently, it always lights immediately and stayed lit.

What, where is the 'oven safety pilot' and could cleaning that solve this?

Oh yeah, and I'm in NYC.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
Have pics of the gas safety valve and the controls?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
I can get the use of a better camera tomorrow or Tuesday, probably.

<Have pics of the gas safety valve and the controls?>

I'm thinking you mean better pictures of the valve that's controlling the oven/broiler?  What I sent you earlier only better images?

If that's not it, where would it be?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Down in the bottom should be a Safety Valve of some sort.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Hotpoint Stove "Burner On" light

Started by crossings52

Replies: 3
Views: 932
Last post January 10, 2012, 09:38:18 AM
by JWWebster
Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 2054
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
ge center burner stove

Started by JPG

Replies: 4
Views: 2344
Last post May 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
by JWWebster
KAC-20 KitchenAid 36 " Glass Sealed-Burner Gas Cooktop Service Manual