Author Topic: Whirlpool ice maker problems  (Read 12846 times)

Offline phoenix79

• VIP Member
Whirlpool ice maker problems
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
Last year when we bought our house we bought a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side refrigerator with the ice bin in the door. About a month after the warranty ran out the ice maker stopped making ice. I replaced the ice maker unit itself but it's still not making ice. I know it's cycling, I've seen it happen, but its not getting water. I've used a hair dryer to try to thaw out the delivery tube but that didn't work either. The only other thing I can think of is the water valve must be shot but the water dispenser in the door works fine. From the research I've done I found that this is the water valve that is required but it looks like it controls both the ice maker and dispenser flow. Does anybody have any ideas?

Model gs5svaxvb00

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool ice maker problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Your water valve has 2 separate solenoids. A smaller line goes up to the ice maker and a larger line goes to the water dispenser in the door. Your water valve's ice maker solenoid is bad OR the innards of the valve on that side are gone. I have found that these valves cannot be repaired with any amount of success.
Replace the water inlet valve part # W10408179
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline phoenix79

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
Are you certain of the part number? From what I could find it was part # 4389177

Not doubting, just verifying

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
I didn't look up your model number. The above photo is an old one of a standard valve that has been around like me a long time. LOL I do not doubt they have a different valve for these newer wonders.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:08:58 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline phoenix79

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »
OK, thanks!!!

Offline phoenix79

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
hmmm, can't seem to edit my post here...

Where is the valve located? Inside the freezer or the door?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
The water line is a good clue. Look behind the ice box and hunt down the wayer supply line. Follow it to the water valve. I looked up your water valve and it is a weird looking one. Maybe some of our techs will comment on why it is like it is: Your water valve
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
Wow, my gs6shaxmb00 refrigerator did the same thing today. My air conditioner went out last night and both my toilets started leaking the night before. Toilets were a 2 dollar part each, A/C was a capacitor that a good friend who does A/C for Lennox got me and installed for a case of beer. Now, the fridge goes on the blink and this is the first place I thought of! Score for me! Thanks for always having the information I need and really fast! you guys rock!  :D  Part has already been ordered!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
Glad to help
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
Ok, got my part in, the water works still but no ice. The ice tray is still empty after about 2 hours. How long does it take for the icemaker to start working again? I checked the switch and its on. is there something I have to reset?

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
Oh, you might need this:

Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator:
Mod: GS6SHAXMB00
Ser: SR4054839
Man Date: 10/04
Type 26SSA

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
It takes a while. Every time you open the door you delay the process. Give it time.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
Ok, still no ice. Not even any water in the tray.  Ideas?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
Last year when we bought our house we bought a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side refrigerator with the ice bin in the door. About a month after the warranty ran out the ice maker stopped making ice. I replaced the ice maker unit itself but it's still not making ice. I know it's cycling, I've seen it happen, but its not getting water. I've used a hair dryer to try to thaw out the delivery tube but that didn't work either. The only other thing I can think of is the water valve must be shot but the water dispenser in the door works fine. From the research I've done I found that this is the water valve that is required but it looks like it controls both the ice maker and dispenser flow. Does anybody have any ideas?

When you had the fill tube removed from the water valve did you try to blow air through the tube to make sure it was open?

Here is the service manual for your ice maker.

R-92 Whirlpool and KitchenAid Indoor Ice System - Ice Maker Service Repair Manual

If you have already replace the ice maker (2198597) and the water valve (4389177) and it still don't work there are only a few things left it could be.

1. The fill tube between the water valve and ice maker is frozen shut. Disconnect the fill tube from the water valve and blow air through it to make sure it's open.

2. The freezer is not cold enough for the ice maker to cycle. The freezer maybe cold enough to freeze food, but not cold enough to close the thermostat in the ice maker so it will run. I like to see freezer temps around 0-5 Deg. F. Put a thermometer in the freezer and check the temperature.

3. You have a bad P.C. Board kit, emitter & receiver part # 4389102

Check out the service manual and do some more checking. Let us know what you find.