Author Topic: How to check if wigwag is good  (Read 5375 times)

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
Re: How to check if wigwag is good
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
lol---u been great---guess im used to seeing water recirculate into the tub on those commercial washers at the laundramat I've been using---looking more and more like i bought a pump for nothing----got a good deal on ebay at least ---i wouldnt have paid 65 elsewhere for this washer when unsure when i can buy a used on off craigs list for 50-----hope this drain hose becomes the issue but i came out with no force when the pump was pumping---------thanks for all your input

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
a wigwag ain't but 20 bucks
 That one has got to be 30 years old. Why not get another wiggywaggy on ebay. ye might could git a good un fer 5 bucks.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
if you lay the drain hose on the floor does water run out?

and... do you have 2 drain hoses?   the model number you gave shows as a suds saver machine

I am totally absolutely befuddled by it all------------yes its draining when the drain hose is low-----it dont know if its the pump pumping it out when the pump is running or just normal gravity/siphon action----guess it doesnt matter if its draining BUT WHY IS THIS----WHY WONT IT DRAIN WITH THE HOSE ABOUT WASHER LEVEL IN THE OUTLET TUBE IN THE WALL---OBVIOUSLY i CANT USE IT WITH IT ONLY DRAINING DOWN THERE???????????????----THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
Well, OBVIOUSLY, if the wig-wag is shifting into spin, it should also be shifting the pump into DRAIN. You need a new pump if it ain't shifting. Or, you need to be sure you engaged the pump lever in the cam bar when you installed the new pump. You should be able to clearly watch the action of the wigwag as it shifts into drain from behind the machine.

Be sure the little pins in the cam guides are not broken or bent, if so the wigwag won't shift the gears like it should. Also check the white cone-shaped object in the right rear corner...the self clean filter. When these fail, they won't allow the pump to drain properly, if at all. You can tell if the filter is bad when you put the machine to drain...it will swell up at the bottom.

There is also the side-check valve, which you can see on a parts breakdown of your model. This is mounted onto the side of the tub, later replaced by a self-clean filter.. If this side-check valve fails, the machine won't drain right. Do some more homework and look at this machine in detail. You can get manuals for the belt drive machine almost anywhere nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:09:27 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
Repair-man,  appreciate your input but whats obvious to a pro is not as obvious to a novice

You didnt read the entire thread----i just pump a new pump on it----i do see the pump lever pull open via the wigwag arm

im getting good flow when the drain hose is down low and the machine is off but when i turn it on to the drain cycle it doest appear to drain out at that low level with more force--not as much more as i would have thought but i must conclude the pump is pumping

so the quiestion why it pumps out at the low level but not at the proper level-----cant operate the machine if it wont drain intp the wall drain pipe

thanks

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »
And you did not read my reply thoroughly. There is a self-clean filter in line with the drain hose. It's either on back at the left rear corner, or mounted on the left side of the tub. If clogged or broken, your pump cannot discharge. All Whirlpool top loaders with a belt also have a side-check valve, operated by a thin rubber flapper that can clog or fail. This is mounted on the left side of the lower tub, and can only be replaced by pulling the spin basket. When these fail, the machine will usually drain out all but the last 2" of water.  Your problem will turn out to be the filter. Have someone pull the timer knob to "Spin" as you feel the bottom edge of the cone filter. If it swells downward, there's the problem.

The only reason it is running water when you lower the hose is because water runs downhill.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:17:47 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline yabadabadoo1026

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »
I'll go give it a look in drain cycle at the cone filter

i have the parts manual to find the check valve course dont know how to tell if it failed or now

thanks for the input you and all

Whirlpool Washer - Does not agitate very good.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2043
Last post December 30, 2007, 09:51:09 PM
by AJ
Maytag washer how to check motor?

Started by jonesrsrg

Replies: 6
Views: 3169
Last post February 01, 2008, 09:31:29 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Wigwag Plunger